D1 cold water issue

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubAddicted

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
After about 35 dives the cold water rubber diaphragm popped out. I removed the retainer cap and reinstalled it but it eventually pops back out(with a very loud pop). Are there any known issues regarding this or any ideas what can cause this?

You have to rebuild the reg. if the diaphragm isn't seated properly it will leak.

One time I had a leak, high pressure seat failure essentially created a huge amount of pressure into the environmental seal and it actually exploded sounding like a metal baseball bat in my steel doubles. I had a massive amount of gas loss but luckily got the post shut off.

The red piece was replaced by HOG. I would take it to an authorized dealer.

Don't dive this reg anymore until it's serviced.

Garth

After about 35 dives the cold water rubber diaphragm popped out. I removed the retainer cap and reinstalled it but it eventually pops back out(with a very loud pop). Are there any known issues regarding this or any ideas what can cause this?

Did you purchase the reg new recently? If so take it back to the shop and have them look at it. If not I will give you the same advice I give everyone when they buy a used reg. Get it serviced and a full over haul on it. It is a piece of life support equipment and you are putting life on the line using it without knowing it is functioning 100%.

The environmental seal (which I believe is what you are referring to) needs to be installed in a certain sequence, else you will trap too much air behind it.

First, loosen or remove environmental seal and retainer.
Then pressurize regulator.
While still pressurized, install environmental seal and retainer.
Then depressurize.

When you do this, you should see the seal noticeably suck inward. This is the correct idle state. If you screw the environmental seal and retainer on while depressurized, and you pressurize it, it will balloon out. This is probably why it keeps coming loose.

If you are using this on high O2 mixtures, or don't feel comfortable doing it yourself, I would recommend taking it to a regulator technician.

Sounds like the primary diaphragm is leaking and building up pressure in the environmental chamber. This happened with my son's D1 and resulted in the primary diaphragm letting go followed by massive air loss. The environmental seal was shredded in the process. We were on a wreck in high current with a virtual overhead and it was not a lot of fun. As previously stated do not dive this reg until it has been rebuilt, just resetting the environmental seal will not correct the problem. There have been changes to the rebuild kit that modify the way the primary diaphragm is captured either a thicker diaphragm or a plastic ring depending on the kit.

Sounds like the primary diaphragm is leaking and building up pressure in the environmental chamber. This happened with my son's D1 and resulted in the primary diaphragm letting go followed by massive air loss. The environmental seal was shredded in the process. We were on a wreck in high current with a virtual overhead and it was not a lot of fun. As previously stated do not dive this reg until it has been rebuilt, just resetting the environmental seal will not correct the problem. There have been changes to the rebuild kit that modify the way the primary diaphragm is captured either a thicker diaphragm or a plastic ring depending on the kit.

another self rebuild ?

another self rebuild ?
The reg had less than 40 dives on it out of the factory and had not been serviced. The only time I had an issue immediately post service was a first and second stage that the store owner told me had been serviced by you. I have no way of verifying that but I also have no reason not to believe the store owner. At the time he mentioned that he had discontinued your reg tech services due to "reliability issues" but he did not elaborate further. I probably should thank you as the incident prompted me to learn how to service my own regulators and I have not had any "reliability issues" since.

glenn your store owner ?instructor had a death i complained about him you worship him ...i have forgotten more about regs than both of you will ever know ....(by the way he STILL used my services up too when i complained of his breaking standards to the agency ...(funny hes not a sdi or a tdi instructor any more ) as for reliability issues that's YOU making up stories to fit your delusional mind .....as for you working on regs as with the rest of your SELF TAUGHT skills one day you will have a Coronnors inquest i will be happy to testify in ...pretty low life thing to say by the way "no way of verifying " kind of like saying do you still beat your wife ?

I had an old Conshelf completely rupture a diaphragm once...

It was a DOD surplus Conshelf XIV.

The environmental seal (which I believe is what you are referring to) needs to be installed in a certain sequence, else you will trap too much air behind it.

First, loosen or remove environmental seal and retainer.
Then pressurize regulator.
While still pressurized, install environmental seal and retainer.
Then depressurize.

When you do this, you should see the seal noticeably suck inward. This is the correct idle state. If you screw the environmental seal and retainer on while depressurized, and you pressurize it, it will balloon out. This is probably why it keeps coming loose.

If you are using this on high O2 mixtures, or don't feel comfortable doing it yourself, I would recommend taking it to a regulator technician.

I didn't know that, thank you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom