D1 Hybrid wrist seals leaking - NOT resolved!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, I've been diving my D1 a bit more now (all the time), and I used to dive with just a T-shirt on, and I'd get the same water along my forearms.
But Since wearing my torso undergarments with the long sleeves, there doesn't seem to be any water coming through (I've removed the lining, it's only 18C here). So I've come to the conclusion that it's just sweat in my case. Not too sure about yours, but my seals did have a kink in them when I tried to see how to replace the seals, if I ever needed to.

Waterproof has been good as far as helping to resolve the issue. Unfortunately, nothing has worked so far. I have had at least two pair of the hard inner rings, multiple silicon seals and nothing has worked.

Most recently Waterproof sent me a pair of the dry gloves that go with the suit. I never got to try them out last year, thanks to hurricane Sandy. I will try them next year. But even if that fixes the issue, it won't explain why the suit leaks without dry gloves. A "dry suit" should not leak. Period. Water coming in through "tendon channels" should be considered normal and not a problem with the suit. But if that is my issue (I don't think it is) then the dry gloves should fix it.

I guess I'll find out next season.

Mike,

I am considering buying a Waterproof D1 hybrid dry suit - did you finally resolve the wrist seal leak issue you have posted about? The last post in this thread seems to be some months back.

Many thanks

Mark

Hey Mike,

I too am seriously thinking of buying a D1 hybrid dry suit and am very curious if you sorted out this,,,also MarkDigby,,if you go ahead and get one id be very interested to hear how you got on with it,

Cheers

Brian.

i found that i will get water in the sleeves only if i wear a long glove under the cuff, over the silicone seal. it seems that when you make a fist underwater the neoprene glove will force a little water in the seal. i corrected this by wearing the gloves over the Velcro wrist cover. i haven't gotten a drop sense. Waterproof if you would like to send me a free dry glove set up though i would really appreciate it :)

BTW it is an amazing suit !!!!!!

I just did my first dive with the D1 this past weekend.

I used the drygloves with the Antares glove system on Saturday, and my left glove leaked. My inner glove was all wet and the tube leaked the water inside the suit :) I figured I didn't attach it right because it's a new thing for me.

On the second dive, I carefully attached the gloves, but the same glove leaked. Half way through the dive, I took the dry glove off on purpose to remove the tube, as every time I made a fist, the pressure squeezed some cold water into the suit.

In the evening I took both wrist seals off, cleaned the seal and the inner lining ring, and re-attached them. I greased them with silicone lube.

I also removed and cleaned the dry glove ridges and greased the rings with silicone.

The next day - hey presto! Both hands were D-R-Y!

It wasn't until much later I took the suit off I noticed a patch of damp just above my right bicep. Still trying to figure out how I got only that wet...

I finally got my D1 drysuit and completed the PADI drysuit speciality at my local dive centre. The suit is great, very well made and superbly designed. I didn't trim any of hype silicone seals but probably need to make the neck seal and perhaps the two wrist seals a little bigger before my next set of cold water dives. None of the seals leaked during any of the four dives that I have completed with it so far.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

In the evening I took both wrist seals off, cleaned the seal and the inner lining ring, and re-attached them. I greased them with silicone lube.

I also removed and cleaned the dry glove ridges and greased the rings with silicone.

Hello, I have a D7 Pro ISS but I am having a big time difficulty to remove the original inner ring in order to install the dry glove inner ring. I know you have a D1 but there maybe some tricks you used? I literally tried everything (see my post on D7 wrist ring) and my fingers are so painful now, my last step is to cut the inner ring if there is still no way I can remove it (obviously not a desirable method).....

My D1's right seal started leaking at the beginning of the dive, so I aborted the dive and replaced both seals with new ones.

When tested, the left one leaked, and the right one held. Removed the left one, put back in. Leaked again.
Re-set the left one, leaked again. Re-set the left one, right one leaked...

There's no troubleshooting here. You put them in and hope for the best.

I put a wee bit of silicone on the seal when putting it back in, as it slides in more easily and there's less chance of it getting pinched.
Using too much silicone makes the inner ring with the seal rotate in the outer ring preventing me from removing the Antares dry-gloved (removed by rotating the hands)...

Any ideas how to be sure the seal is inserted correctly?

Edit: I just reviewed the YT vide of the installation with the Antares dry glove ring, and saw that the installation recommends putting the silicon edge not in the top groove, but ABOVE it!!! (How to mount the Antares ring into a WP suit - YouTube)

In the last part of the video a lot of water based lubricant is used. That would make the inner and outer rings spin like crazy, and making the removal of the dry glove impossible... Then again it's water based lubricant meaning it will evaporate over time...

Anyway, I'll try this over the weekend and report back... :)

Back
Top Bottom