D420! How about that?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm curious the maintenance kit configuration. It seems it could be a drop in "cartridge" (pre-assembled). Wonder if it is so????

you'll find a novice video for Part III of the D420 Unboxing.
Another nice video @rsingler
Answer me this: In the video, the new kid's orifice looks much larger than the standard SP adjustable orifice; correct or am I being tricked by your scanning electron microscope? If so, that is another plus. Damn it, I hate when I give supporting evidence to the opposition.

Same ****...only vertical as opposed to horizontal...
Sorry Mr. Wipple; not even close. The X650 had a pneumatically balanced poppet design (and not a very good one at that) where the D Series, both old and new, have a center balance poppet design.

Yes, @couv, the D-series poppet/orifice has always had a larger diameter than its S-wing sister. That diameter appears to have been maintained exactly in the new assembly.
That, plus the short flow path out to your mouth is why it delivers air so smoothly.
In the C-series, Scubapro got halfway there, by placing the poppet spring behind a barrier, so that air only had to slide past the poppet sides, and not through the spring coil. The C350 is my favorite downstream, and it too uses that low friction curved lever with improved mechanics over the X650 where it first appeared. Now, it's the smoothest lever around.

I'll keep beating on your door, @couv, until I get you to try it out. :D

You know where I dive. :) I'll be happy to try the D420. I don't need cigarette smoke blown in my face to know I don't like it-same with bubbles. :stirpot:

Yes, @couv, the D-series poppet/orifice has always had a larger diameter than its S-wing sister. That diameter appears to have been maintained exactly in the new assembly.
That, plus the short flow path out to your mouth is why it delivers air so smoothly.
In the C-series, Scubapro got halfway there, by placing the poppet spring behind a barrier, so that air only had to slide past the poppet sides, and not through the spring coil. The C350 is my favorite downstream, and it too uses that low friction curved lever with improved mechanics over the X650 where it first appeared. Now, it's the smoothest lever around.

A little off track but, do you have an opinion on the C370? Cheers.

Have only seen the schematic.
My first thought was, why mess with the best downstream you've ever designed?
I hear good things, but have never taken one apart. Don't know why it was even made balanced.
G260, S620 so why a C370?
Maybe regional design tastes?
Maybe to make up for techs who couldn't align the S-wing in the barrel?

But the lever sure is great! Glad the D inherited it.
Maybe it's a "throw regs against the wall; see what sticks" kind of marketing research.

Back
Top Bottom