D420! How about that?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Simon, have you seen a parts kit? I spoke to Dan yesterday at SP. He recommended cracking at 1.2-1.6. (Stock line). I’m at at a hair above 1.1”. Lever at about .5mm below surface. There is no manual yet. It’s in final production.

Thanks.

I have two kits here, tomorrow I'll take one apart and post pictures.

I really cannot personally contribute to this thread, but somewhere in my memory banks was a statement by @halocline re the effect that adjustment has on the main spring in a classic D. It might be relevant here. Below is a quote from this thread:
D400 - Raising the w

"The main adjustment is the little plastic internal cap (with a slot for a screwdriver) that sits on the spring. A very common problem when adjusting this is that the spring itself gets a bit twisted in the process and then as you use it, 'untwists' (there's a technical term for you) or relaxes a bit and then you have some flow. When I do it, I get an idea of where I want that pad to be, then go back and forth past that spot a few times. This should get that spring to be sitting well on the poppet. "

View attachment 570058

Put these in the pool today. On a MK25EVO. To be honest, I could not tell the difference. The Aqualung mouthpiece was more comfortable on the D400. Looking forward to getting the newbie in the ocean. @buddhasummer the sticker is no problem but I’d like a new one with a hole for a 5mm hex wrench please.
I'm working on an adjustment knob to replace the sticker... First prototype should get in the mail to @lexvil today or tomorrow for fit testing. If you pm me an address, I'll add you to the list for one soon as the design is dialed in.
Respectfully
James

The kit:

EAF3A8C9-ADF9-4909-BBC7-EA1DAD58D20A.jpeg

I find it a little concerning that they put the seat assy with orifice in the same bag rattling around together.

I guess we could just punch out the new stickers too... Just not for customers!

It's also strange to me that the sticker is not sold as a separate item given it needs to be removed should further tuning/adjustments be required.

I really cannot personally contribute to this thread, but somewhere in my memory banks was a statement by @halocline re the effect that adjustment has on the main spring in a classic D. It might be relevant here. Below is a quote from this thread:
D400 - Raising the w

"The main adjustment is the little plastic internal cap (with a slot for a screwdriver) that sits on the spring. A very common problem when adjusting this is that the spring itself gets a bit twisted in the process and then as you use it, 'untwists' (there's a technical term for you) or relaxes a bit and then you have some flow. When I do it, I get an idea of where I want that pad to be, then go back and forth past that spot a few times. This should get that spring to be sitting well on the poppet. "

It may have some influence I'm not sure but on the D the tuning cap was directly on the spring so could turn but with the 420 the hex pushes against a spring pad.
61643C94-BE12-4BF0-89F9-27D327B03C0E.png
F5D1B812-B700-4ADB-8214-4370EA03CB9C.png

It may have some influence I'm not sure but on the D the tuning cap was directly on the spring so could turn but with the 420 the hex pushes against a spring pad.View attachment 570106 View attachment 570107
Just an off the cuff idea.... if the adjuster hex is turning a spring pad, is it possible your wandering tune is from the spring twisting a little with the adjustment, and then straightening with use (if that makes sense.... like the spring pad binding temporarily instead of isolating the rotation of the hex from the spring)?
just spitballing ideas....
respectfully,
James

Just an off the cuff idea.... if the adjuster hex is turning a spring pad, is it possible your wandering tune is from the spring twisting a little with the adjustment, and then straightening with use (if that makes sense.... like the spring pad binding temporarily instead of isolating the rotation of the hex from the spring)?
just spitballing ideas....
respectfully,
James

Certainly a possibility as couv alluded to. I'll pay attention to it tomorrow.

is it possible your wandering tune is from the spring twisting a little with the adjustment,

a possibility as couv alluded to.

Yes, that is what I was thinking, and @halocline 's technique is worth a try:

When I do it, I get an idea of where I want that pad to be, then go back and forth past that spot a few times. This should get that spring to be sitting well on the poppet. "

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom