D420! How about that?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi, long time lurker, have been watching this thread since nearly the beginning. My wife and I have been diving Mk15/D400's for a long, long time (20+ years). Her D400 came back "fatal" from her last servicing and is retired. The Mk15 was successfully serviced. She also has a pretty brand new Atomic 1st stage so I don't want to buy a D420 with a 1st stage. I was going to wait until the D420 came out by itself but we can't wait that long and now I want other people to report back their experiences before we invest in that particular reg. buddhasummer's experience is interesting, but only one data point.

Soo, the question is: Atomic Z3, ScubaPro G260, S600? What should I get her? She does not want to adjust her reg underwater, ever. She just wants it to breathe reliably and work. Hawaii and tropical diving only. One of the most experienced service techs in Hawaii used to dive a D400 but currently dives Atomic. What do you all think?

Thanks.

Welcome to Scubaboard

Before writing off your d400 send it to one of the regulars here on the board , they can usually fix or rebuild anything ,
You will not find a better place to get it fixed ,
it is probably better than most new 2nd stages , I love mine after rsingler overhauled it to new specs , good luck , Lloyd

Hi, long time lurker, have been watching this thread since nearly the beginning. My wife and I have been diving Mk15/D400's for a long, long time (20+ years). Her D400 came back "fatal" from her last servicing and is retired. The Mk15 was successfully serviced. She also has a pretty brand new Atomic 1st stage so I don't want to buy a D420 with a 1st stage. I was going to wait until the D420 came out by itself but we can't wait that long and now I want other people to report back their experiences before we invest in that particular reg. buddhasummer's experience is interesting, but only one data point.

Soo, the question is: Atomic Z3, ScubaPro G260, S600? What should I get her? She does not want to adjust her reg underwater, ever. She just wants it to breathe reliably and work. Hawaii and tropical diving only. One of the most experienced service techs in Hawaii used to dive a D400 but currently dives Atomic. What do you all think?

Thanks.
I am currently holding @lexvil 's D420, working on an adjuster.... He might be willing to sell it, if you are after a 420 by itself.
Respectfully
James

If you can't get the D400 back up and running... I'm a huge fan for the g250 (discontinued) for cold water, and would say the G260 would be a good choice as a substitution. That being said, the s600 is a nice compact stage, and likely a warm water beauty (I have one, but rarely use it). From what I am hearing, the C370 would be a really nice stage if you can get one. My suggestions are because you have a SP first. Sure mix-and-match can work, but can be a PITA with service.

First off, every second stage you are asking about is a great choice. I bought Simons D420 (Buddhasummer) and one of these days I’ll dive it again along with my other one than James79 has, to be honest I have stupid high expectations for my personal use and I didn’t really give it a shakedown worthy of its design. The whole state is on lockdown so there won’t be any diving for who knows how long, my pool is only 50° and I’m not yet desperate enough to gear up to lay on the bottom burning air that I can’t replace at the moment.

I will test it further but I believe to be a good reg, only time will tell how good. Once tuned, which on a Z3, G260 or S600 can be done in minutes they are all amazing and as Rob mentioned the C370 is right up there in that group. The 420 will probably turn out to be a very suitable replacement for the 400.

Wow, thanks for all the helpful and useful responses. I think I will get the D400 repaired while I wait for the D420 to come out in second stage only form. @lexvil if you want to part with yours, I would be a willing purchaser. LMK. (But wouldn't blame you if you just kept it).

Wow, thanks for all the helpful and useful responses. I think I will get the D400 repaired while I wait for the D420 to come out in second stage only form. @lexvil if you want to part with yours, I would be a willing purchaser. LMK. (But wouldn't blame you if you just kept it).
I don’t have either in hand but I don’t need two of them, I’ll let you know when one of them gets home.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom