• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

D420! How about that?

Discussion in 'Regulators' started by axxel57, Dec 5, 2019.

1. lexvil

lexvil Loggerhead Turtle

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    Please do, my pool is drysuit worthy and I’m still tempted, just like things I could do in the shop I’m holding out as long as possible so I can maintain a list of things I can do.

2. eho

eho Angel Fish

Gee, I'm not a tech geek (just a diver) but I just love this thread. I've only ever known the D series so I don't have any other expectations but what it does (which is work damn well for a ridiculously long time). Maybe I'll get an S600 for my pony bottle reg. :)

Andrew Dawson likes this.
  3. buddhasummer

buddhasummer Divemaster

No, it fills my soul with glee, the only regs I'll never sell are my Conshelfs.

BenjaminF likes this.
  4. James79

James79 Regular of the Pub

# of Dives: 25 - 49
    Well, used it in the pool for a bit. I enjoyed it, but I agree with Buddhasummer (I think he said it) about the narrow exhaust T putting the bubbles more in my face than I would like... But I'm also used to old Conshelf wide T's. As you suspected, the knob I made cam-levered itself out while in use (and now is somewhere in my pool). I have a new variation of the pin that is going back with it for you to test. However, based on the very little I used it, I think it may be unnecessary or only really useful as a fine tuning tool for in water right after service, then replace with the sticker once tuned to suit.
    Just my observations.... I will also gladly continue working the pin for optimum results, if the interest is still there.
    Boxing it up shortly, now that it's thoroughly dried, and taking to the post office this afternoon.
    Respectfully,
    James

buddhasummer, couv and lexvil like this.
  5. rhwestfall

rhwestfall Solo Diver

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    The more folks talk of the exhaust, and lately diving almost exclusively with DH regs, I'm continuing to distance from wanting one. I have a collection of Pilot/Air1/Dxxx regs that I thought it interesting to get "the next best thing", but perhaps not...

buddhasummer likes this.
  6. James79

Looking at it, the exhaust is no narrower than an AL Micron, or some of the other small form factor regs out there... the bubble complaint really could be a few of us just being bubble snobs after being used to old school wide T designs.
    I just don't want to unduly influence anyone....

7. lexvil

lexvil Loggerhead Turtle

Thank you for your efforts James, I think back on the original D series not having any adjustment on the fly like most standard design have and how the D400 I had sat unused for years but when hooked up breathed fine every time I checked it, the low spring pressure seemed to have done the trick.
    I’m glad you got the chance to try it.

buddhasummer, couv and James79 like this.
  8. rhwestfall

rhwestfall Solo Diver

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    Like I said, I have been diving mostly DH regs lately. I think the bubbles may really set me off...

buddhasummer likes this.
  9. lexvil

lexvil Loggerhead Turtle

The short exhaust “T” can be an issue, the C370 also has it, I wonder if it’s an artifact of the low exhaust WOB work they are concentrating on? I would add a longer “T” if it were available (next project James) like I alway did with Atomics. I have found that when I use my Tusa Paragon mask the bubbles never come out where the can be seen, it’s a really nice mask with a big funky frame to hold the lens in, that frame acts to channel the bubbles toward the back.

10. James79

I didn't dis-assemble anything on the 420 (combination of no documentation, not mine to tear apart, and it cost you more than I have total invested in the rest of what I wore in the pool!), so I'm not clear on the T attachment. I already boxed it, but as I recall, it looked like tabs, or flaps. If you mean for the C370, I've never seen one in person. Depending on the attachement method, it may be pretty easy to re T them. I'm actually planning on doing T's for my old Conshelfs with the screw on T's.

buddhasummer, couv and rhwestfall like this.