Which is better in the long run

• i450T

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • D5

Votes: 4 80.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

_anak_pulau_

Registered
Reaction score
Had my eye fixed on i450T for a few months now and whilst waiting for a good offer price, D5 was released. Now I'm having a dilemma. Not many user reviews available yet for D5 as it has just been made available to the public a few weeks ago. Most "reviews" on YouTube were probably sponsored. I was surprised that a D5 would set me back AUD850 whereas the i450t is about AUD100 more. Any thoughts?

Suunto prices appear to be lower for you than in the US. Looks like your prices are for computer only, you're not intending to use AI?

The color D5 runs the new Suunto Fused RGBM 2. At rec depths, it runs Tech RGBM, allows wide adjustment to as liberal as 45/95 or DSAT at P-2. I would go for the D5 over the i450T running PZ+ if I didn't want to consider a Teric.

Had my eye fixed on i450T for a few months now and whilst waiting for a good offer price, D5 was released. Now I'm having a dilemma. Not many user reviews available yet for D5 as it has just been made available to the public a few weeks ago. Most "reviews" on YouTube were probably sponsored. I was surprised that a D5 would set me back AUD850 whereas the i450t is about AUD100 more. Any thoughts?
What are Op preferences?

I'm still pretty new to the scuba world and now mainly doing vacation rec diving. So taking it slow on buying my own gears. Since I don't have my own reg yet, thought it wouldn't be necessary to get wireless tank pressure. To be honest, I don't know if it's a bit OTT to get this range of dive com for the amount of dives that I'm currently doing (once every 4-5 months). The other option would be to get just the basic i300c.

On my perspective, i would not buy i450T nor D5 - because they are not worth the price tag. The price range that you are looking at is almost close to 1000 USD which can get you a really good second hand dive computer or even a first hand - Shearwater Research | Rugged Dive Computers for Technical Divers. Try looking into Scubaboard market place,Classifieds: Computers, Gauges, Watches, Analyzers! A guide to help you, a bit old but the fundamentals still stand: So you want to buy a new computer?

My key considerations - logistic(if smt goes wrong with my comp, where can i get it fix or finding its replacement parts), cost-benefit analysis(is it worth the price?), advantages and disadvantages of each one and, thus, does it suit my current demands and lifestyle or even in the near future?

Cheer!

Cheers guys for sharing thoughts. It is indeed a bit much to spend for the amount of diving I'm doing. Oceanic Geo 2.0 is also in my radar, costing approx 40% less, with 5 years warranty in OZland.

Hi @_anak_pulau_

The Geo2 is on sale, at least in the US, as it is being discontinued in favor of the new Geo4 with Bluetooth. Keep in mind that the Geo2 requires an expensive cable to download to your computer, making the overall price between the two much closer.

I have had a Geo2 as a backup for 8 years, a fine computer

Hi @_anak_pulau_

The Geo2 is on sale, at least in the US, as it is being discontinued in favor of the new Geo4 with Bluetooth. Keep in mind that the Geo2 requires an expensive cable to download to your computer, making the overall price between the two much closer.

I have had a Geo2 as a backup for 8 years, a fine computer

What do you think of Suunto Zoop for a back up comp?

What do you think of Suunto Zoop for a back up comp?
Hi @Coconut Monkey

It depends on what it is backing up. If it is backing up another Suunto computer running their RGBM, it would be just fine. It would be fine backing up other computers with a similar deco algorithm. If it is backing up a more liberal computer, it may be limiting due to its more conservative NDLs. Your choices would be to have it control your dives, or put it into deco and clear the obligation to avoid being locked out in violation gauge mode. The Suunto D5, discussed above, runs a different version of Suunto RGBM and can be made considerably more liberal than the Zoop.

My primary computer since 2010 is an Oceanic VT3 running DSAT. My Geo2 runs the same deco algorithm and they match within 30 seconds. It is difficult to match DSAT with other algorithms, but I've been relatively successful with a computer running Buhlmann ZH-L16C with GF.

Hi @Coconut Monkey

It depends on what it is backing up. If it is backing up another Suunto computer running their RGBM, it would be just fine. It would be fine backing up other computers with a similar deco algorithm. If it is backing up a more liberal computer, it may be limiting due to its more conservative NDLs. Your choices would be to have it control your dives, or put it into deco and clear the obligation to avoid being locked out in violation gauge mode. The Suunto D5, discussed above, runs a different version of Suunto RGBM and can be made considerably more liberal than the Zoop.

My primary computer since 2010 is an Oceanic VT3 running DSAT. My Geo2 runs the same deco algorithm and they match within 30 seconds. It is difficult to match DSAT with other algorithm,s but I've been relatively successful with a computer running Buhlmann ZH-L16C with GF.

Thank you and i will keep that in mind. Like-minded computers work well with each other, and the diver is happy!:drunks:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom