• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

DAAM, it happened again...

Discussion in 'Vintage Equipment Diving' started by Ghost95, Jan 21, 2021.

1. Ghost95

Ghost95 Manta Ray

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    Ok all, update as promised.

As I said in the previous post, I refinished the HP seat according to Herman's instructions and it came out great. The assembly went pretty easy without any major issues. If you're going to be working on these DAAM's at all the CustomScubaTools, tools are the way to go. I could have done this with standard tools but the purpose built stuff makes things so much easier. Well worth the money.

As rebuilt, this is a West Warner DAAM. The soft parts (hose loop, mouthpiece, diaphragm, and duckbill) were replaced with silicone. Improved wagon wheel and check valves were also added.

The first stage was replaced with an HPR mainly for ease of use. The rest was rebuilt with a VDH service kit.

Everything went together great and I didn't even destroy the first stage HP gasket this time.

IP was set on a tank with 500 psi. It was adjusted until a slight free flow was observed (about 140 psi) and the backed off just over 1/4 turn. That left me with a stable IP at about 128 psi. There is a small leak that I haven't been able to identify which allows the pressure to bleed off the system in about 18 hours. It may be in the gauge or associated hardware though. I don't think that 18 hours to bleed the regulator qualifies as a significant leak and I don't want to screw up any seats that are set by looking for it.

Here are the photos. Maybe one day I'll get to dive this project.

First stage parts.
    20210210_103856.jpg

First stage assembled.

20210210_113020.jpg

Body parts.

20210210_121405.jpg

Main body assembled and ready for the can and HPR.

20210210_135831.jpg

Installed in can with HPR in place.

20210210_142930.jpg

All together. Very Pretty!

20210210_161251.jpg

Thanks to all here who helped with this project whether that was with suggestion, insight, or getting me the parts I needed. As always this place has been a great help. This project was a lot of fun and will be a complete success once I get the regulator wet.

2. herman

herman Divemaster

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    Tiny leaks around the nozzle gasket and the hookah port are not uncommon but over 18 hrs I would not worry about it. Odds are you may do more damage than good on such a small leak.

rhwestfall and couv like this.
  3. Ghost95

Ghost95 Manta Ray

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    Thanks. That's kind of what i figured. I think the rebuild is a success so far. No need to mess with it. I'm guessing it will set itself with a few cycles.

Thanks for the help and feedback.

couv and rhwestfall like this.
  4. herman

herman Divemaster

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    Now to set up the HPR. It can be tweaked a lot to improve the performance.
    With the reg under pressure connected to a 500 psi tank (to keep IP at max), adjust the adjustment nut until there is a slight amount of free play in the lever. The lever should rise as you do this. Continue to adjust the nut until the lever tips are even with the lower lip of the bottom can. Test the lever height by setting the main diaphragm on and gently tap/press it down. while listening for contact, you want about 1/16-1/8 inch of clearance between the lever. Some free play must remain in the lever when doing the final height adjustment. I prefer to error on the larger side of this adjustment with a new seat, it will take a set causing the lever to rise as it does. If the lever does not rise enough or you run out of adjustment in the the nut, no more free play in the lever, the lever legs may have to be bent slightly and the nut reset. A word of caution, the venturi on these regs is quite powerful, expect the reg to slam open and free flow. When this happens, covering the supply horn with your hand will stop it....and likely blow the diaphragm off. :) This is normal, esp without a hose loop on..
    The performance of the venturi can be tweaked at this point but I think it's best to leave it as is for the time being until the diver gets some experience with the reg.
    Now the standard warning. NEVER breath directly off of the supply horn ! Always use a proper hose loop to test he reg. These regs have a very powerful venturi and are capable of causing lung damage if not treated with respect.
    This reg with a properly set up HPR is capable of some very impressive performance numbers that rival or surpass modern regs

macado and rhwestfall like this.