Dacor BCD configuration....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SamDiver14

Contributor
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I hope I posted this in the right place, if I didn't someone please move it to the right place.

Anyway, here goes, .... I am not a tech diver, whatever that appellation means. However, I am planning to take a few courses and start moving in that direction. So when I was offered a great deal on a "tech" BCD I couldn't refuse. Of course, I dove with the BCD several times and decided that I really liked the fit and ease of use. Here is my problem, when I dive with my "rec" BC there are these huge pockets on both sides that I have become very comfortable having there and using. (My other BC is an Oceanic Probe). The problem is that I like to keep things somewhat streamlined and the Dacor "the RIG 2" that I just bought has only one pocket on the cummerbund that will not even fit a small light. There are D-rings all over the thing but how can I carry all of my junk without having crap dangling everywhere. Now keep in my mind that my BC may not really be all that great but it works really well for me. So maybe it isn't what some of you hardcore cavers or deco divers might choose but I like it. I usually carry a slate, some tables, a small (2 AA) light, a pocket CPR mask, defog, and maybe a few other things with me. Now maybe when I am diving for my own recreation I don't need all of those things but I think some of it is a good thing. I would like to be able to take a spare mask and a few other things that I wouldn't always take when assisting an instructor. Anyway, maybe you guys can tell me what to do with this stuff when I don't have any pockets. thanks, Sam
:martian: :martian:

Seriously - it might not be what you want to hear, but ebay the Rig2. Do a search - You've just highlighted all the weaknesses on the thing. Why do you want to subject yourself to tring to make that thing work? "Streamlined" and "Dacor Rig2" are mutually exclusive.

Basically, what you're asking is "I've got a garbage truck that I want to rally-race in. What modifications can I make?" The answer - sell the truck and buy a proper vehicle.

Ditto.

If you get into serious technical diving, you'll end up in a backplate. The only variable is how much money you waste on the wrong equipment between here and there.

You're not alone, almost all of us have had to eBay equipment on the technical diver journey.

Roak

take it from me, i tried the same route and just had to plunk down the money
this week to get a BP and wings.

you'll end up there anway, might as well save yourself time and money

roakey:
Ditto.

If you get into serious technical diving, you'll end up in a backplate. The only variable is how much money you waste on the wrong equipment between here and there.

You're not alone, almost all of us have had to eBay equipment on the technical diver journey.

Roak

There are lots of BCDs around that look "tech" because they have a wing and lots of D rings but that particular one the rigII won't even allow you to use double due to the plastic back plate with 15" hole spacing.
If tech diving is your goal, ditto the other guys, sell it and start out with the right kit. BP/wings. Then get some pockets for your drysuit or wetsuit to keep all your essentials in.

BTW: the dacor is probably a good recreational BCD

cheers,

I only paid 150 for the BC. One of the reasons it is so comfortable to dive is how adjustable it is. I am a really big guy, I am just not fat enough for my size. In other words, when a BC fits me in the chest it is usually huge in the waist. So the Rig II because it is so adjustable it is really comfortable for me to dive in. Any suggestions for another BC that might do the same thing but fix those problems? or is thr Rig II possible to modify. Please understand that this is the most comfortable BC I have ever used. Is that worth trying to continue to use it? or can I find something better and cheaper in the long run.

well, nothing is as adjustable as a BP/Wings with harness, from what i understand.

if you want to do open water diving only, then i think you should stick with the BC, since you like it so much.

since you said you were going to move in the tech diving direction, you are going
to have to get a BP/Wings sooner or later.

SamDiver14:
I only paid 150 for the BC. One of the reasons it is so comfortable to dive is how adjustable it is. I am a really big guy, I am just not fat enough for my size. In other words, when a BC fits me in the chest it is usually huge in the waist. So the Rig II because it is so adjustable it is really comfortable for me to dive in. Any suggestions for another BC that might do the same thing but fix those problems? or is thr Rig II possible to modify. Please understand that this is the most comfortable BC I have ever used. Is that worth trying to continue to use it? or can I find something better and cheaper in the long run.

I used to own one and I too found it very comfortable, I even went so far as to modify it for doubles by moving the tank bands to 15" apart and put 2 different lengths of bolts from the back. It usually took me about 15 minutes to change from single to double with that setup and I used it like that for a year or so before I decided to get a BP/wing setup.
I really liked the wide, stiff cumerbund. It was a good BCD and I am a rather large person as well. You may PM me if you want details on how I used it with doubles.

cheers,

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom