Dacor Olympic 800 1st Stage Regulator?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CaveSloth

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
What is the opinion on using this first stage regulator for cave diving? It has a knob for "reserve". I think it was originally produced in the 1970s.

dacor-scuba-diving-regulator-2nd_1_760e60e43a8dc9e773718b6bd940917a.jpg

Well, assuming you get it serviced there is no reason it would not work....now it's darn near impossible to find service kits for it so having it serviced is not likely.....and frankly I wouldn't trust anyone that say they did unless I knew them well.
The "knob reserve" is a built in J valve, the 400 is the same reg without the reserve.

Any deficiencies of this regulator design as compared to more modern ones? Just as good?

The reserve / J valve kinda freaks me out.

I wouldn't call them deficiencies but it has an oddball internal design besides the J valve.
If properly serviced, it would no doubt supply you with a stable supply of air at flow rates compairable to any modern reg but again, rebuilding it is the issue. Like I said earlier, I would not trust someone that said they serviced it unless I knew them very well. I would be highly suspicious of the parts they "used". I have some experience with this reg, I used one for a project a few years ago. I restore old regs and modify others the make custom reg, just for the fun of it.
The second stage is a different matter, while official Dacor parts are not available, aftermarket and substitutions of other manufactures are available. These seconds are pretty good. Again, know your service tech.

The J valve is actually very useful for it's intended purpose. You have to understand when this reg was in common use, SPGs were still new so not everyone had one. Many tanks of the day did not have J valves on them so it was nice to have one on your reg. By the way, the 400 model is the same reg without the J valve installed, years of production were 1969-79. The J valve restricts air flow to you when tank pressure reaches a certain pressure, usually 500 psi for single tanks and 300 for doubles. You can very easily feel this resistance, you pull the rod (a long rod is attached to the lever) and you get full air flow again. I understand that they are still required in some commercial diving when vis can be so bad you can not actually see a SPG. I dive vintage gear fairly often and use J valves, for their intended purpose they work well.

With that said, I would happily dive a properly serviced 400/800 in open water with complete confidence and I would expect it to perform just as well as most modern mid range regs. Cave diving is a very specialized form of diving that is not to be taken lightly. You need the proper gear and training to do it safely. While a pair of properly serviced 800s would do fine, considering all the training and other gear needed, I would not consider them for cave use. If for no other reason than they are big and heavy.

Why a Dacor? Why an 800? Is it free?
If I wanted to use a Dacor, I wouldnt choose an 800.

If you do decide on Dacor, you really need to learn to service them yourself.

Dacor 960s are the reason I learned to service my own. When parts started to dry up I turned em into paperweights.

I still have a couple 960 First laying around. They have been sitting for years and would need checked. If you, or someone else wants em to learn service, PM me a shipping label and I'll send em to you. Be forewarned they are VERY heavy.

I have a couple of 400`s I`ve rebuilt. The only thing I had to rig that wasn`t readily available was the diaphragm. With the proper material all you have to do is cut to fit, They are cool looking regs but as said, very heavy. You would also need a splitter as their port options are limited. Another plus is they have a little stash place when you unscrew the bottom cap.

I have a couple of 400`s I`ve rebuilt. The only thing I had to rig that wasn`t readily available was the diaphragm. With the proper material all you have to do is cut to fit, They are cool looking regs but as said, very heavy. You would also need a splitter as their port options are limited. Another plus is they have a little stash place when you unscrew the bottom cap.

Where did you get the custom filter that is inside of it? To do a rebuild, it's replacement is necessary.....yea it will likely work ok with the old one but still it was one of the parts in the rebuild kit....I have several NOS kits. There is rebuilding a reg and then there is taking one apart, cleaning it and putting it back together. They are not the same thing.

As for cave diving with it....I seriously doubt a cave instructor will allow that reg....and if he does, I would look for another instructor. This coming from someone who dives vintage and home built regs on a regular basis.

Where did you get the custom filter that is inside of it? To do a rebuild, it's replacement is necessary.....yea it will likely work ok with the old one but still it was one of the parts in the rebuild kit....I have several NOS kits. There is rebuilding a reg and then there is taking one apart, cleaning it and putting it back together. They are not the same thing.

As for cave diving with it....I seriously doubt a cave instructor will allow that reg....and if he does, I would look for another instructor. This coming from someone who dives vintage and home built regs on a regular basis.

Sorry, I did not know that the filter could not be cleaned.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom