Dacor Olympic 800 1st Stage Regulator?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The very first regulator I owned was a Dacor Olympic 400, which is an 800 with no reserve. While it was a fine regulator for it's day, it was not designed for the way we dive today. To add an octopus and low pressure inflator, I had to install a T fitting with multiple ports. The yoke is also integral to the body which means if your friend wants a DIN he's SOL. I'm not saying the Olympic 400/800 cannot be used for cave diving-that's up to the diver (don't tell anyone-mine saw the inside of a few caves.) But finding someone who will allow it in his class will be a challenge in it's own right.

You already know that there are better options for even the most frugal person. Give your friend a clue.

. We are scheduled for cave training in June.

Short answer, hell no.
Dacor doesn't exist, and your "friend" is diving with relic equipment. In cave diving regulators are life support, and top quality equipment that is providing peak performance. If your friend can't afford to get a set of high quality regulators, then honestly he needs to cancel the class, and reschedule it for when he does have the needs for a class.

You have a lot of questions and threads on different forums, when in reality you need to talk to your instructor. Having a dialogue with your instructor about many topics will help you a lot, and help your instructor guide you with what is important for the class. I have seen so many students come to class full of internet knowledge, when their instructor will tell them to forget all of that, and this is what I need you to do.

Herman and Kelly beat me to it. It is possible some instructors will let it go, but I don't know any that I would recommend that would. The second stages yes, but not that first stage.

What will be his primary reg for cave class, a Sportsways W200?

You guys be nice! My buddy just wanted to know whether he should upgrade his equipment. It is a reasonable question. Thanks for the input!

You guys be nice! My buddy just wanted to know whether he should upgrade his equipment. It is a reasonable question. Thanks for the input!

I appreciated the thread. It was a good counterpoint to your other thread about vintage regs that could give the impression vintage regs are simply the way to go. They are not for everyone, and some "relics" like this should not be for ANYONE.

Even I could tell that it was a bad idea! Why did your buddy think his ancient reg would be suitable for cave class?

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom