Dacor Olympic 800 1st Stage Regulator?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What is the opinion on using this first stage regulator for cave diving? It has a knob for "reserve". I think it was originally produced in the 1970s.

dacor-scuba-diving-regulator-2nd_1_760e60e43a8dc9e773718b6bd940917a.jpg

CS...

Trying my best not to be disrespectful...being mindful of the fact that there are no dumb questions...I'm surprised that between you and your ''friend''...that enough common sense is not prevailing that this question would even be asked...

There are lots of excellent/inexpensive/brand new regulator system choices available for diving under today's extended range conditions/technical advancements/modern instruction techniques...

Not being a cave qualified diver...but as has already been stated the fact that the reg is yoke and not DIN should be enough to disqualify it for cave service duty...

I think the best answer to your quandary...is to closely follow the guidelines of a fully qualified cave instructor...assuming you have one already selected...before you spend any money/or attempt cobbling together old parts...

I think you have your answer...

W.M...

Dacor 800.jpg

Even I could tell that it was a bad idea! Why did your buddy think his ancient reg would be suitable for cave class?

In fairness, the OP didn't say his buddy thought it would be suitable--only that his buddy has that reg, and they are scheduled for a cave class. That said, I also think that the cave diving vintage reg evangelists have had some influence.

"cave diving vintage reg evangelists" - That has got to be one of the most esoteric clubs in the world. Since I recently purchased a set of MK10s / G250s and am scheduled for cave training I may soon be in their ranks!

Just to iterate what I have been learning from these discussions:

There are very few vintage regs that are considered recommended for cave diving, the ScubaPro MK10 / G250 being a recommended configuration, the Dacors being not recommended.

Even I could tell that it was a bad idea! Why did your buddy think his ancient reg would be suitable for cave class?

Because it seems alot of people go into technical diving wanting to do it as cheaply as possible so they can afford the instruction. What they don't realize is no matter what you do, this type of diving is going to be expensive.

I'm still shocked that people spend $1000s on dive gear, training, and dive trips, but complain about something that costs $5 that they think should be $1.

Maybe I should have used an emoji. It was just a joke. But the number of threads and repeat questions about the same thing seemed to find me wherever I went on the internet and got a little silly. But don't feel unwelcome. It was a joke.

And now I feel really unwelcome.

Dont, I just think the absurdity of asking about a Dacor 800 (J) for current cave diving struck a cord. Understand that the 800 was a poor performer when they were new. And not to date myself, but I did a few dives with a new 800, back in the day. They sucked then, and time was not kind to them!

Maybe I should have used an emoji. It was just a joke. But the number of threads and repeat questions about the same thing seemed to find me wherever I went on the internet and got a little silly. But don't feel unwelcome. It was a joke.

Well thanks for explaining. I try to ignore insults but I am just continuously shocked by how mean and cruel people are, especially online, and it gets to me sometimes. I admit that I may be overly sensitive.

I just don’t understand why people don’t go out of their way to be kind and phrase things more kindly but maybe people just imitate how they have been treated.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom