Dacor Olympic 800 1st Stage Regulator?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

. . .
Just to iterate what I have been learning from these discussions:

There are very few vintage regs that are considered recommended for cave diving, the ScubaPro MK10 / G250 being a recommended configuration, the Dacors being not recommended.

Yeah, I figured that might be the thought process that led to this thread. Someone recommends old SP regs, and now you and your buddy are wondering whether other old regs might also be good.

Well thanks for explaining. I try to ignore insults but I am just continuously shocked by how mean and cruel people are, especially online, and it gets to me sometimes. I admit that I may be overly sensitive.

You’re taking curiosity and incredulity as insults. But @rddvet’s point is still valid. Tech training ain’t cheap. I just plunked down $1500 for my AN/DP/Helitrox class. That doesn't include gas costs. I have also seen people trying to cheap out in the strangest ways.

I just don’t understand why people don’t go out of their way to be kind and phrase things more kindly but maybe people just imitate how they have been treated.

Partly it's context. Between forums, social media, and around dive sites you hear alot of people trying to do things cheaply or half-assed, and it becomes annoying to some and an easy joke for others. This is technical diving. It's full of big personalities, some nice, some asses. But even in my group of friends we will give each other a hard time or call each other out for stupid things we say or do. It's just the nature of the game due to the types of people that generally move to tech diving. Get thick skin, because so far I think you've been treated fairly mildly considering. Again, I was just screwing with you, so don't be offended.

On edit a friend of mine had a funny comment recently. I don't remember the exact wording but another technical diver was whining about something he told him he needed to toughen up or give up because "snowflakes melt in water."

And now I feel really unwelcome.

Don't feel unwelcome,but try a search in some of the forums first because the answers might be there.

You query about the Dacor regulator hasn't been asked,so that is worthwhile,but a search may have revealed that Dacor rebuilds are virtually nonexistent .

For historical context, Dacor Turboflex fins used to be a cave diving favorite, because they were rigged and vented,which handled high flow well,but they were short and very light weight. In cave country Dacor regulators had the nickname of "Death-cor". I remember seeing a guy with twin Extreme plus on his doubles with Enduro 2nds. The 1st stages had more bubbles that a car wash, and the 2nds breathed like sucking a Wendy's Frosty through a straw.

In cave country Dacor regulators had the nickname of "Death-cor". I remember seeing a guy with twin Extreme plus on his doubles with Enduro 2nds. The 1st stages had more bubbles that a car wash, and the 2nds breathed like sucking a Wendy's Frosty through a straw.

Yikes!

Where did you get the custom filter that is inside of it? To do a rebuild, it's replacement is necessary.....yea it will likely work ok with the old one but still it was one of the parts in the rebuild kit....I have several NOS kits. There is rebuilding a reg and then there is taking one apart, cleaning it and putting it back together. They are not the same thing.

As for cave diving with it....I seriously doubt a cave instructor will allow that reg....and if he does, I would look for another instructor. This coming from someone who dives vintage and home built regs on a regular basis.

Just in case someone is interested, I ran across this eBay add for a Dacor 400 service kit.
DACOR 1ST STAGEOLYMPIC 400 SCUBA REGULATOR SERVICE KIT 49661564 768225232636 | eBay

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom