Dacor Rig or Zeagle Ranger?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

buff

Contributor
Reaction score
Need to decide between a Dacor Rig 2 or Zeagle Ranger. I want to use doubles in the future. Both BCs seem to be well respected. Any thoughts?

If you want to go to doubles - do yourself a favor and go either with a back plate setup or a highend rig, like a Dive Rite Transpac II http://www.dive-rite.com or the OMS variation on the same theme - the $100 extra is well spent - as far as the backplate goes it will probably cost you the same as the rigs you mentioned - you need to find a good technical shop to get the right help though...

Good luck,
Terkel

The ranger is a good all round BC, I have one and I like it as do many others on the board. It will handle doubles. If you want things like pockets on the BC and intergrated weights, then the backplate/wings are out. I know you can add them on and add weights to the backplate but for me, I like them intergrated into the BC. I like them, others do not and it is really a matter what type of diving you are doing and what your preferences are. Explore the options you have and then try to rent your final choices to decide what suits you best.

I must weigh in with WetDane.My 1 piece harness has integrated ,quick-drop pockets and any number of connections are possible with other components.My buddies dve with both the BC's you mentioned but only with singles.I just picked up a buddy's Zeagle who was out of town.It had popped a seam bue to using a lot of weight in the pockets and then doing a lot of moving about U/W.A new BC ,well built but not truly made for Technical diving.The backplate is more adaptable and less drag .By the way other than a can of tomatoe sauce what exactly is supposed to go in all those pockets?

Well Tony,

I don't know about you, but my mom always told me not to leave home without a PB&J sandwich - so that's what I bring...
If I need more room, I'll bring a pen light and fill the cannister instead of bringing the battery...

Cheers,
Terkel

Come on guys, the man ask a simple question and you go into the "if you don't dive a backplate/wings you aren't a real diver BS". Yes I like the pockets and yes I do carry some small items with me and just maybe he does too, but that's not for me or you to decide. Just looking at some advertisements for the Diverite Transpac II, of all the items I see what do you suppose I see...add on pockets, guess some people who dive it like pockets as well. I attempted to honestly answer his question not start some "my way is better than your way" contest. I have followed the wings/backplate discussions on this board and have determined they are not for me, if you like them fine. Why try to insult me because I don't subscribe to your diving/equipment style?

Buff, I have a Ranger, I know a lot of dive instructors who dive them and a PADI coarse director who dives one and we all like them, be that as it may, the best advise you can get is to try all 3 and decide which best suits your needs. Your comfort and safety is all that really matters and any one of these will do that nicely. Which does it best for you is mostly a matter of personal choice. Now, back to my PB&J sandwich and tomatoe juice.

He questioned which, and then added he would like to dive doubles in the future.

Both are good BCs, but the Ranger is a far better one, I dove a Ranger for several years, then decided to go to B/P/Wings.

While you can use doubles on either BC (this is gonna stir the natives up) I would not recommend it. Due to the fact you have to use long tank bands and secure the tanks this way. This puts undue stress on the mainfold and causes a possible failure point.

If you are for sure you are going to dive doubles in the future. IMHO Save yourself some money and get a B/P/Wings Combo (Sounds like and order at Kentucky Fried Chicken). You can change out the wings to suit which kind of diving you are doing.

This is my story and I'm stickin to it!

ID

Sometimes, when I am feeling a little low all I have to do is read a few threads on this board and my day gets a little brighter--even at night!

Herman, I had not had a PB&J sandwich for years--not since my kids moved out. Then, in March, when we were diving Truk, the kitchen packed one in my lunch one day. But the jelly was not quite up to the standards of my youth. Actually, my mom used strawberry jam and that sounds real good about now.

So I think that I will make a midnight run to Safeway and get some PB and J--already have the bread--and think about my mispent youth as I munch it. Tomato juice???? Hmmm, got to pass on that one. Believe or not, Dr. Pepper goes good with said sandwich, but I think a little water will do tonight.

Thanks for the fun... But I sure do feel humble around some of you guys--here I am with a single, a vanilla BC (SeaQuest QD Pro) and no wings (chicken, buffalo, or KFC), and I like pockets! One of these days I will grow up and be a tech diver...until then, I will continue to enjoy reading the stuff you guys write!

!Vaya con Dios!

Joewr

Don,Joe and the rest, sorry about the shades of Rodales. Good point about the tank stress Don, I can see where that could be a problem if you used the extended bands. I just looked at my Ranger manual and it say that as an alternative to the straps you can use a backplate and bolt it to the BC, would that not resolve that issue? Is that not the way it is done with the b/p/wings? I don't dive doubles and have no plans to so it's not an issue for me.

Actually, Joe, I do like PBJ and strawberry is the way to go, as for the tomatoe juice, I think you can figure that one out. To be honest, the reason I dive a Ranger is my wife won it at a club meeting. I was using a old Tekna jacket style that has a lot of hours on it but it was a trusted friend. It was comfortable, got the job done and the only person I am out to impress is myself. I will have to admit though, the Ranger is more comfortable. I will be happy to bring the old Tekna out of retirement and buddy it up with your SeaQuest any time, I'll bring the sandwiches, you bring the Dr Pepper.

And finally, Buff if you are still with us, I still say, beg, borrow or rent all the ones you think might fit your style of diving and then make an informed decision based on your needs.

Hey Herman,
I didn't mean no offense - it was just a wise crack - sorry.

I do agree with you that trying as much as you can is the way to go.
As far as the doubles, the Dive Rite is made to bolt them right on and even if you can add a B/P to a BC, isn't it just easier to get the backplate in the first place?

Anyway, my dismissal of the ranger is based on a comparison I made when I got my DR - I had the opportunity to look at the Ranger, the Transpac II and the OMS IQ at the same time.
The IQ apparently had some issues - I was told this from a couple of friends - so I ruled that out (I know a lot of people dive these).

When it came down the TII and the Ranger - I noticed that you can dump individual pockets on the TII - on the other hand the Ranger used(s?) a pull cord system that has to reach around your back and activate the opposite pocket...
Without adding any DIR stuff to this - that was too "mechanical" for me and I found that to be an un-neccesary failure point. I too know of people who dive Rangers and are happy - I personally believe that the Transpac II is a superior BC, but that is my opinion and not a god sendt rule of life.

Now go get wet!
Terkel

Back
Top Bottom