DAN -Altruism or Greed?

What do you think of Bennett's alleged situation?

• He has every right to pocket SOME of my donations

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • That dirty rotten scoundrel!

Votes: 9 39.1%
  • I'll continue to give to donations to DAN

Votes: 10 43.5%
  • I'll not give to DAN donations again

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • I'm going to have to think hard about this first

Votes: 9 39.1%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Who the H*** cares?

I try not to waste my time looking for transparency (although I don't know if that's the same when you put it in italics).

DAN and their insurance company can hold wild parties every night of the year with my money so long as they evacuate me and stuff me in a chamber when I need it. So far, I've not heard of any problems in this area.

DivePartner1 once bubbled...

I agree and I think that's were we all coming from here.

The fact that such good was done makes the garden variety shananagans more disappointing. Happily, it looks like Duke has a board position now which sounds like good news. The hotline is a good thing, but it's a DAN thing, not the work of any one idividual.

Actually, we don't really know the true motives of the ouster.

As far as the one man show...

The WKPP is a large operation, but would it exist in it's present state if not for GI3?

What if, say, Stone had been running it for 6 years?

:)

Entrepreneurial founders do not make good corporate managers.

Start-up organizations (non-profit or otherwise) require leaders with an attitude and skill set that very often makes them unsuitable to manage a structured corporation. The powerful ego, dominant personality and co-mingling of personal and professional identity required to succeed in an entrepreneurial environment can be anathema in a bureaucratic cooperative. It’s a long-standing axiom that the surest way for a business founder to lose control of “his” company is to take on “outside” financiers/directors/owners. It’s also a long-standing axiom that one of the most critical problems any organization will ever face is the hand-off from the first generation to the successors.

The long-shot: Bennett did a wonderful thing – he took what amounted to little more than an idea and built it into a terrific (and unparalleled) diver service organization. Now, so that DAN may continue to grow and thrive, it’s time for him to do another good thing – fall quietly on his sword and step aside.

I, for one, have no plans to drop my membership or my insurance. And thanks, Dr. Bennett! I owe you a cold one - we all do. A final word to the board at DAN: we're watching and we have choices - don't let us down.

Steven

the board has already tipped its hand.

By refusing to disclose Bennett's "golden parachute" (which I don't think they can get away with, legall, given the IRS-990 reporting requirements) they have made quite clear that the smoke-filled, back-room deal is alive and well there.

That is most unfortunate.

One can only hope that divers will make clear to them that this is unacceptable behavior, and will vote accordingly with their wallets.

(Heh, maybe we need ANOTHER petition :) )

Genesis once bubbled...
One can only hope that divers will make clear to them that this is unacceptable behavior, and will vote accordingly with their wallets.

ABSOLUTELY. I'll make sure that I pay the bill for the best plan they offer as soon as it comes in the mail.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom