DAN Insurance non-diving medical "Accident"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kgilb

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Has anyone tried to use their DAN Insurance for a non-diving accident? My coverage lists $10,000 life time benefit with a $250 deductible for non-diving accidents.

I was recently on a cruise ship where I came down with the flu and was treated by the doctors on staff. The total medical bill was $2600. I was hoping to file a claim with DAN but they told me that treatment for the flu is not considered a medical accident.

Has anyone else gone through something similar with DAN? Am I wrong to assume that my DAN insurance should help me cover this bill?

You need to read the contract in its entirety and determine if you see coverage....may need a lawyer to read it too, but I’d be surprised they cover a non dive incident....you didn’t have an accident.

And $2600 to treat the flu? That seems very excessive to me!

Non diving accidents are listed as $10,000 lifetime benefit with a $250 deductible.

Yes, I was shocked at the cost as well. They really bone you on a cruise ship. Never mind that I lost 3 days of my cruise being quarantined to my room.

Non diving accidents are listed as $10,000 lifetime benefit with a $250 deductible.

Yes, I was shocked at the cost as well. They really bone you on a cruise ship. Never mind that I lost 3 days of my cruise being quarantined to my room.
I guess the question is....is the flu an “accident”? What is the definition of accident in your contract?

And yes, if you have health care in the US, that should cover you over deductible if any.

I’d have to agree, there is little chance of being able to argue that ‘flu’ is an accident within an insurance claim.... in order for it to successful you would likely have to argue that the claim should be upheld as contraction of the flu was not ‘purposeful’ but then that would set president for coverage for any eventuality that was not ‘purposeful’ and insurance companies would likely go bankrupt as hey would need to list every potential issue that isn’t covered and that would likely be an impossible task.. I’d be interested to hear the response though.....on a side note though, and not a specific dig at you......but i’d be pissed if I found out my DAN renewals went up because people were successfully claiming for flu on a cruise...

Cruise ship medical fees are insane stupid. I was on a Royal Caribbean ship a few years ago. A girl had set off her pepper spray can in the club by accident and gased out a bunch of people including myself on the dance floor. We all got treatment by the ship for a few hours trying to get our eyes cleared up. They tried to hit me and a few other with a bill just under $4k each for all the medical treatments and time being watching in the infirmary.
Needless to say I raised all holy hell about how I would not be paying a penny and simply reminded them how they allowed a passenger to board their ships carrying pepper spray. Suddenly my bill magically vanished.

I found my DAN handbook...here are 2 screenshots..they state coverage for Non Diving "injury", which injury can include the flu I assume?

Injury is the key word if they still use this term in their handbook.

Attachments

• 20190212_174442.jpg
    20190212_174442.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 101
  • 20190212_174423.jpg
    20190212_174423.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 95
They do go on to define injury.

Means accident BI of an insured person, that is direct and independent of all other causes, is due to a Covered Dive and occurs while insurance is in force.

A bit ambiguous to me.

Back
Top Bottom