DAN Membership in Mexico

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Your comment seems a bit like picking the fly poop out of the pepper. Surely they will be going back to Canada occasionally, and maybe like me who goes back and forth to the US—you'd be hard pressed to figure out where I reside. I can't imagine that being a legal problem (not withstanding complete stupidity).
Hard pressed or not, and regardless of the definition used, residency is a definite legal status. The policy states: "Classification of Eligible Persons: All dues-paying Members of DAN who are residents of Canada." The policy does not define "resident" as far as I can tell, so one would look to other guidance such as what reasonable people would understand "resident" to mean or how resident is defined elsewhere in insurance law or in other situations such as for taxation purposes.

Insurance companies like to "pick fly poop out of the pepper" because that's how they avoid paying claims and thereby save money. If the OP obviously resides in Cozumel now and some discrepancy raises a red flag to a claims processor, it would be easy to deny a claim based on her ineligibility. To me, it doesn't make sense to bother procuring insurance, then risk that the insurance company might notice certain falsified information that would invalidate the coverage, since insurance is all about minimizing risk in the first place. Of course the OP might very well never get caught, but one could use that rationale to justify tax evasion, lying on a resume, and all sorts of other frauds.

DAN's Handbook (Canada)

HOME means the Insured’s primary or secondary residence.
HOME COUNTRY means the country where the Insured’s permanently resides. Such country must be declared in advance with us.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone. I spoke to DAN and since we will be living here permanently we cannot be insured by DAN US & Canada and have to be insured by DAN Worldwide. And yes we will lose our OHIP (Ontario health care) after living outside of the province for 6 months. We will be buying AXA insurance here soon (once we get our PR cards) and I guess we can wait until we see what is covers and what it doesn't. Agree it will be a must for dive vacations but those in the past were to Cozumel 3x a year. LOL

Betty, the DAN Latin America representative Laura Johnson lives here on Cozumel. If you don't know how to contact her, I'd be happy to try to help.

I have the EMS insurance and live on the isla. I would hate to get bent and then the insurance discovers that I LIVE here and denies me. I have the high coverage and it's $119 USD per year. Like someone else said "better safe than sorry"

Sorry I didn't see this sooner Betty, but I'm glad you got the right information! As many know, I got bent 3 years ago this month. I had DAN US but was not covered because I had not renewed under DAN World which was a new requirement at that time. My tab came to right around $225,000 pesos ($22k usd +/-) Fortunately I had major medical, but it did not cover the whole thing.

I agree, now that you are living here full time - don't risk it! Besides the fact that it would be insurance fraud, you may end up not being covered at all because the facilities here end up knowing who is local and who is a visitor.

Thanks everyone. I spoke to DAN and since we will be living here permanently we cannot be insured by DAN US & Canada and have to be insured by DAN Worldwide. And yes we will lose our OHIP (Ontario health care) after living outside of the province for 6 months. We will be buying AXA insurance here soon (once we get our PR cards) and I guess we can wait until we see what is covers and what it doesn't. Agree it will be a must for dive vacations but those in the past were to Cozumel 3x a year. LOL

Thanks for reporting the real poop on the deal. Nice to hear the actual answer instead of all de spec-u-lay-cion.

Betty, sent you a PM last night with message from Laura. Waiting to hear back from you...
Thanks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom