DAN Oxygen Provider Course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rstofer

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Three of us are thinking about taking the DAN Oxygen Provider course and, as it turns out, the local instructor is the fellow who taught my Nitrox course.

So, any thoughts on the value of the course?

Any prerequisites? We all have Rescue training but my First Aid/CPR is long expired.

What are the requirements for getting the DAN O2 cylinder refilled? Is the Oxygen Provider course required or can anyone get the O2 cylinder refilled at any LDS?

Is there a more appropriate forum for posting this query?

Richard

been a while since I took mine, but if I recall correctly, the only prerequisite is you have to be 12 years old.

My DAN O2 class was part of the EFR class.

Your DAN card should be all you need to get your O2 bottle refilled, but I've been hearing stories that a lot of the places that will do so (medical gas supply) won't do your bottle w/o a prescription, even if you do have the DAN 02 provider card. I don't know about LDS having the capacity to do refills.

The O2 class could help you or someone else if there was ever a dive or other emergency. Definitely a plus for Rescue Cert.

I thought it was a really great course. My instructor went over everything in great detail for 5-6 hours then taught us how to administer oxygen.

My understanding is that you do not need a prescription to have the O2 bottles filled as long as you have an oxygen provider card, however many oxygen providers will not fill your cylinders without a prescription because it is a headache for them to deal with the paper work or something like that. I believe that Praxair will fill your O2 cylinders with just the DAN or equivalent certification, but I may have the wrong company.

Overall, I thought it was a great course and really important in the diving community as oxygen can be so critical for diving injuries.

My LDS blends Nitrox so they have O2. I don't care whether the DAN cylinder is filled with medical or aviation grade O2. So, I guess it is an issue to discuss with the LDS.

Richard

Some jurisdictions will not provide a fill without a scrip. Many will. Prax air will O2. Dive shops who do tech diving mixes (Trimix) can fill these bottles. The O2 course is well worth it, since it's the only first aid available for a DCS hit.The equipment is not cheap, but the course is well worth it. You don't need to own your own kit, but if you can afford it, great. If nothing else, you can help on a boat.

Think on this if you will. NOAA and AAUS requires ALL their divers to be trained in O2 administration. Every rec agency requires their professionals (instructors, DM's) to have this cert. I can't speak for commercial operations, but I know that every commercial operation I've ever witnessed had O2 available and people trained to use it.

It's not difficult, and might really help someone someday.

Nomad

The class is well worth it. It was required for my DM/Assistant Instructor cert, but I'm still of the opinion that it taught me a lot.

When I needed a couple of parts for a DAN O2 kit that I picked up cheap, I rattled off the names of the needed parts to my nurse friend, who promptly gave me them.

As far as filling oxygen bottles, my experience is that most dive shops who have oxygen will fill them, cert card or not, in hydro or not. Since the cylinders are lower pressure than scuba tanks (2215 or something, IIRC), I now just top them up from a fresh oxygen cylinder from the garage.

The DAN oxygen first aid is good for two years and well worth the time it takes to do it. I keep current by combining it with the CPR/AED course that is only good for one year as I'm sure you know. You get to meet other divers and have a ball with the practices Last year I had a SWAT team Captain for a guinea pig and I told him that he was hopeless no need to administer oxygen..everyone got a good laugh out of that.

My opinion take the course it will make you a better safer dive buddy. Let us know how you make out....:lotsalove:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom