DAN: Sanitize equipment with 10% bleach solution.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nohappy

Contributor
Reaction score
DAN ENCOURAGES DIVERS AND DIVE OPERATORS TO PROPERLY DISINFECT DIVE GEAR
Quoted from DAN
Equipment can be effectively sanitized by submerging it in a 10% bleach solution or using a cleaning product such as Steramine™ tablets or any other quaternary ammonium compound. Be sure to use these products according to the manufacturer's directions and then rinse the gear with fresh water.

I have two questions:

1. Won't 10% bleach solution be too high for diving equipment like regulator? Would the diving manufacturer agree with that?
2. Won't 10% bleach solution be too high for the stuff that you're going to put in your mouth like mouthpiece?

2) I’d recommend a really long, long rinse in fresh water after 10% bleach. 10 percent bleach has about 6000 times more chlorine than swim pool water.

1) it seems to aggressive to me: 10% bleach is a lpot
2) is not gonna kill you, but is gonna to have a terrible taste an smell

I used to use some disinfectant to rinse my regs, but because of the after taste, I gave up.

@Landau @rabe DAN did suggest to rinse with freshwater after that in the article. Thank you. The first one question is the one that I'm more concerned about.

30 years ago while in the middle east we washed all of our vegetables and fruit in a clorox/water mix. Then we would give it a light water rinse. It never tasted bad. The water wasn't always trustworthy, but we didn't die. :)

A 10% bleach won't even come close to hurting you. You can always rinse with potable fresh water.

Cheers - M²

Personally, I love the smell of Dettol in the morning.

I used to sanitize brewery equipment and bottles with 10% bleach, then literally as quick as I could completely submerge in fresh water and pull it back out was all the rinse it got.

Same with washing apples to press for cider.

I did say *used to* with the brewing, because after many exposures, the bleach could cause pitting in glass and give bacteria a place to potentially build. Honestly don't know if that's a real issue, but it sounds bad, so we switched to Kinder, gentler (and incredibly more expensive, naturally) commercially available sanitizers. For the time and money invested into a 10 gallon beer batch, the cost increase was negligible. I wouldn't want to be burning up expensive sanitizer after every dive though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom