Dan Surface Signal Kit Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've had one (DAN SMB) on my right hip D ring for almost 10 years. Never really notice it until I sit down on a boat sometimes, and even then it usually just folds up out of the way. FYI- still has the original plastic clip. I keep thinking to put a metal clip on it, then forget and off it goes on another dive or 20.

Buy a pair of shorts. Much better than clipping it to a d-ring.

Thanks! :) Really appreciate it.

Ok, here are some photos of what it looks like straight out of the box... (note ruler and cell phone not included, just included for size reference).....
IMG_2819.JPG
IMG_2820.JPG

I then put all of the accessories into the pouch, which made the unit about 1" thicker....

IMG_2821.JPG
IMG_2822.JPG

I took my DAN smb with me on my trip this past weekend, didn't have to use it but it was there just in case. One thing I noticed is that the dye is coming off when I rise it in fresh water. Is this normal? Will it continue to do this or does this just happen when it's new?

I took my DAN smb with me on my trip this past weekend, didn't have to use it but it was there just in case. One thing I noticed is that the dye is coming off when I rise it in fresh water. Is this normal? Will it continue to do this or does this just happen when it's new?

Yes, the dye will continuously fade over time. The color will eventually stabilize at a relatively dull orange, but still fairly visible especially with that reflective strip.

Yes, the dye will continuously fade over time. The color will eventually stabilize at a relatively dull orange, but still fairly visible especially with that reflective strip.

Do all SMBs do this or is the dye fading just particular to DAN's?

DAN's SMB is particularly prone to fading. I had two of them in service for less than a year and they turned a dull pink. DAN ended up replacing them as they both leaked at the seams (right at the top of the tube). The new ones are not fading nearly as bad. I have several much older SMBs of various sizes and none of them bled or faded like the DAN one did.

I did replace the plastic clip with a double-ended brass clip as the plastic tongue kept displacing.

While they are a bit bulkier than most, I do like the size and the ability to inflate multiple ways. Storage with the mirror is a bonus. My light flooded early on and is no longer in the kit.

Dragging an old thread up.
Just bought one of these.
Does anybody know what all the velcro bits and loops are for?
Do you find the wrap/closing velcro comes loose?
How do you carry it with the line preattached, or do you carry seperatly?
Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_3065.jpg
    IMG_3065.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 128
  • IMG_3066.jpg
    IMG_3066.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG_3067.jpg
    IMG_3067.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 141
Dragging an old thread up.
Just bought one of these.
Does anybody know what all the velcro bits and loops are for?
Do you find the wrap/closing velcro comes loose?
How do you carry it with the line preattached, or do you carry seperatly?
Thanks

I think it's just having 2 ways to hang it. Horizontally, if you clip it on hip D-ring. Vertically, if you clip it on chest D-ring.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom