• Can't discuss under advisement of my attorney

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Never buy it

Votes: 35 19.4%
  • Polls are for chumps

Votes: 14 7.8%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would like to start off by thanking @outofofficebrb. This has been very helpful information.

I carry DAN annual dive coverage to provide coverage anytime I decide to go diving. I've also purchased travel insurance through World Nomads in the past, who also covers plan interruptions and medical evac, etc., for accidents involving diving, white water rafting, zip-lining, and other activities in which I've decided to partake all in one vacation to places like Costa Rica. I've luckily not had to use the coverage, but they seem to have a decent reputation and when I read through their coverage it seemed to be decent enough of a combo with DAN, although overlapping in some respects.

I'll have to look into @outofofficebrb's plan to see if it makes more sense. It didn't occur to me to look at Dive Assure's travel plan for a strictly diving trip to use in combo with DAN emergency.

I carry DAN annual dive coverage to provide coverage anytime I decide to go diving. I've also purchased travel insurance through World Nomads in the past, who also covers plan interruptions and medical evac, etc., for accidents involving diving, white water rafting, zip-lining, and other activities in which I've decided to partake all in one vacation to places like Costa Rica. I've luckily not had to use the coverage, but they seem to have a decent reputation and when I read through their coverage it seemed to be decent enough of a combo with DAN, although overlapping in some respects.

DAN covers non-diving accidents as well, though perhaps that's what you meant by "overlapping."

Good to hear there are other insurance alternatives. But back to OP's claim: if you are getting credit back from both liveaboard and airline, what are you out? what do you want from DAN?

Good to hear there are other insurance alternatives. But back to OP's claim: if you are getting credit back from both liveaboard and airline, what are you out? what do you want from DAN?
I wanted DAN to pay me and they fight for the credit from the airline since If I cant get any use out of my trip when the airline and boat cancel. As it ends up I will be able to slide the trip over and only be out about $200. I will never darken DAN/CSAs door as they have refused to help whenever I needed them.

My sister is the one who got screwed they are going to be unable to even attempt to rebook their trip for 2+ years due to work requirements they are still trying to get the money back for their spots.

I wanted DAN to pay me and they fight for the credit from the airline since If I cant get any use out of my trip when the airline and boat cancel. As it ends up I will be able to slide the trip over and only be out about $200. I will never darken DAN/CSAs door as they have refused to help whenever I needed them.

My sister is the one who got screwed they are going to be unable to even attempt to rebook their trip for 2+ years due to work requirements they are still trying to get the money back for their spots.

Have you checked with them since your flight was (presumably) canceled? I can understand if there is "a hurricane in the general vicinity." But, if all flights are canceled and it's still not covered, then the trip insurance really does sound useless.

For @WarrenZ's future insurance purposes, I've copied and pasted the "fine print" below. Dive Assure's policy on weather is this: (Bolded font is as applicable to his specific issue.)

Weather: 9.3.1.1. Coverage from a named Hurricane, Cyclone or Tropical Storm as declared by a National Weather Service causing cancellation of travel. The Insurer will only pay benefits for losses occurring within 30 calendar days after the named storm makes the Insured’s destination inaccessible or uninhabitable (including damage to Live Aboard Vessels). Benefits are not payable if a hurricane is named on or before the effective date of the Insured’s Persons inception of coverage and is limited losses not covered by the tour operator to the limits in the schedule of benefits. 9.3.1.2. Weather conditions which cause complete cessation of services of Your Common Carrier, service and/or accommodation provider for at least 24 consecutive hours. Coverage limited to 90% of non-reimbursable covered trip cost up to $10,000 max (Elite Passport up to full coverage). Insured persons must make all reasonable attempts to complete their journey. Failure to do so may result in reduced compensation up to 50% of the trip cost.

Lost diving days, Deluxe Passport plan:

Diving days lost as a result of weather conditions as supported by marine and weather forecast (required) not enabling diving/sailing per captain's discretion (Excluding limited visibility conditions). Coverage: 50% of Dive Boat trip cost divided by number of diving days with a maximum of $150/diving day and total of $450

Lost diving days, Elite Passport plan:

Diving days lost as a result of weather conditions as supported by marine and weather forecast (required) not enabling diving/sailing per captain's discretion (Excluding limited visibility conditions). Coverage: 50% of Dive Boat trip cost divided by number of diving days with a maximum of $200/diving day and total of $1,000

Read more https://diveassure.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/Standrd-Deluxe-Elite-LAR-DOC-2017.pdf

I had a similar experience with the DAN travel insurance, except that they flatly refused to pay anything when I told them that I wanted to file a claim because of Irma. Because they refused to help, I had to hope that the individual companies used (airline, hotel and cruise) would be kind enough to allow me to move my reservations. It was only good fortune, not the purchase of the insurance from DAN, that allowed us to rebook our cruise.

Have you checked with them since your flight was (presumably) canceled? I can understand if there is "a hurricane in the general vicinity." But, if all flights are canceled and it's still not covered, then the trip insurance really does sound useless.

The flights were indeed canceled, and yes, the trip insurance is absolutely useless. I was heading down to Nassau with WarrenZ

The flights were indeed canceled, and yes, the trip insurance is absolutely useless. I was heading down to Nassau with WarrenZ

Do you know who the underwriter of the travel insurance policy with DAN is? I wonder if you could request a chargeback with the credit card company for the travel insurance if you cannot use it. I mean, if there is a hurricane and they won't honor flight cancellations even based on that, I'm not sure what good it is! Did you check the fine print in the policy to see what they specifically outline in order to be covered to see if you can throw them the book? Can you try another operator or claims adjuster and see if they will give a different response?

The problem is now that WE did all the work to get things rebooked after flights are cancelled there is now no longer a loss to claim. The only thing we are out is the 200 for new tickets a more expensive hotel reservation as we now have to fly home on Christmas day and opportunities that were passed on to make the original dates work.

Back
Top Bottom