DAN travel Insurance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cali_diver

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Has anyone had any experience with DAN Travel Insurance? How did they handle the claim etc.? I have used Allianz in the past but they really screwed with me when my trip was cancelled/delayed in Indonesia due to the volcano eruption in Java. They eventually paid but it was like pulling teeth so I was thinking of changing to a different company.

I have DAN insurance for diving and Travel Guard for traveling.

I have DAN Insurance, although (fortunately) I have not had to post a claim. Will let you know if that changes.

I doubt you can find a travel health insurance that gets more praise than DAN's. Aside from all the things we expect, like paying the bills, they effectively have a concierge service for divers. It includes some of the most complete hyperbaric treatment and diver injury expertise in the world. Simply having the ability to convince (teach) non-hyperbaric and underwater injury medical professionals to accept their input is invaluable.

In most (all?) cases they pay the medical bills and ask questions later so you are not held hostage in a foreign country. DAN probably knows more about arranging international medi-vac services for hyperbaric injuries than anyone. Granted, they may go after your primary insurer for partial or total reimbursement of their expenditures after you are taken care of, but not you. I NEVER thought I would speak favorably of an insurance company, but I am happy to pay DAN.

We now use Blue Cross to provide an annual trip and medical (includes diving) coverage. We have made 2 trip interuption claims and all submitted expenses were paid promptly. Our policy costs much more than DAN and it covers much more. You get what you pay for.

Insurance is regional and in North America it is regulated at the State and Province level (not federal). So available packages may differ across the country.

We now use Blue Cross to provide an annual trip and medical (includes diving) coverage….

Does Blue Cross provide technical assistance for hyperbaric and diving injuries? How good are they about promptly paying the entire bill in foreign countries? I also buy trip insurance separate from DAN when traveling outside the US, but all of them I checked have pretty limiting constraints on depth.

I agree that DAN may not be enough, depending on what state/country you are in and what package you buy. You definitely can have medical emergencies unrelated to diving. You really have to cover all the bases when traveling outside your home country.

I doubt you can find a travel health insurance that gets more praise than DAN's. Aside from all the things we expect, like paying the bills, they effectively have a concierge service for divers. It includes some of the most complete hyperbaric treatment and diver injury expertise in the world. Simply having the ability to convince (teach) non-hyperbaric and underwater injury medical professionals to accept their input is invaluable.

In most (all?) cases they pay the medical bills and ask questions later so you are not held hostage in a foreign country. DAN probably knows more about arranging international medi-vac services for hyperbaric injuries than anyone. Granted, they may go after your primary insurer for partial or total reimbursement of their expenditures after you are taken care of, but not you. I NEVER thought I would speak favorably of an insurance company, but I am happy to pay DAN.
It sounds like you are talking about their Dive insurance. She was asking about Trip/Travel insurance. I am a DAN fan, it is a membership organization, but they don't always offer the best - and plenty of skeletons in their closets as well.

Does Blue Cross provide technical assistance for hyperbaric and diving injuries?
DAN will do that even if you are insured elsewhere.

Yes I have Dan Dive Insurance, I was asking about the travel insurance side of it. I know that any company will try their hardest not to pay a claim, but I do not want to reward them for it. I told Allianz that I was not going to use them again for the bull**** they tried with me, so alas now I am looking for the next best evil....

It sounds like you are talking about their Dive insurance. She was asking about Trip/Travel insurance...

Depending on your state, they also offer travel insurance. I/we haven't used DAN for travel insurance because they have been more expensive, partly because my wife is non-diver.

Depending on your state, they also offer travel insurance. I/we haven't used DAN for travel insurance because they have been more expensive, partly because my wife is non-diver.
Yes, yes - they offer a number of insurance products. She wants to know about Trip/Travel insurance, and it looked like you were talking about Dive insurance.

Back
Top Bottom