Dangerous Sharks in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Len:
The only dangerous sharks you'll see on Cozumel are on the sidewalk in front of the diamond stores and in the lobby of your hotel selling timeshares.

HA! LOL I was gonna say the same thing.

Cozoholic:
Is this a reef shark?

Yes, this is a type of reef shark, looks like a small gray reef or a juvinille Galapagos by the shape of the dorsal.

Pretty fish at any rate, one of my major motivations for learning to dive was to be in the water with sharks. I got my wish big time learning to dive on Midway Island when I was in the Navy, many, many years ago. We had one of the highest shark populations on earth and rarely were in the water without them.

sharky60:
Yes, this is a type of reef shark, looks like a small gray reef or a juvinille Galapagos by the shape of the dorsal.

Pretty fish at any rate, one of my major motivations for learning to dive was to be in the water with sharks. I got my wish big time learning to dive on Midway Island when I was in the Navy, many, many years ago. We had one of the highest shark populations on earth and rarely were in the water without them.

Why more sharks over there? Water temp? More food source?

PlanoDvr1:
Why more sharks over there? Water temp? More food source?

Probably a combination of water conditions, food sources, (gooney birds are Tiger shark favorites), lack of human intervention and who knows what else.

the reefs are unmolested by man, the water inside the atoll is shallow and full of life including 3 or 4 types of sea turtles, monk seals & lots of lobsters all food sources for sharks.

You changed your Avatar....nice one. Someone you look up to?

Is there a large turtle population is Cozumel? How about seal population? These are the main sources of food for preadator sharks. For my own curiosity does Cozumel have a significant dolphin poplulation. Thanks

robbcayman:
Is there a large turtle population is Cozumel? How about seal population? These are the main sources of food for preadator sharks. For my own curiosity does Cozumel have a significant dolphin poplulation. Thanks

Lots of turtles in Cozumel. No seals. There are a few dolphin around, but not many.

PlanoDvr1:
You changed your Avatar....nice one. Someone you look up to?

Yep, growing up in the mid-west, I watched the Undersea World of Jacques Cousteau and dreamed of someday strapping on a tank and seeing some of the stuff I could only see on TV in the middle of the country.

Thanks to the US Navy and the blessing of being stationed on Midway I was able to live the dream.

Back
Top Bottom