Dating a Mako K14

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kayakingphotos

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Does anybody know the way to determine a date for a K14? I'm looking at one for sale and am wondering what the age and possibly the value would be. It indicates the model is a KA14GH. The first three digits of the serial number is 805. Powered by a gasoline engine. CFM 9.2, 5000 PSI, 1200 RPM

Thanks

Patrick

Buy it flowers?

Give us the whole serial number. If it's truly a K-14, it's an early Mako. Mako used Bauer blocks up until the mid 80's when they switched to Reavell blocks from the UK.

Definitely a Bauer block, out of my league. Ask @windyairman

Early Mako Bauer blocks have the year as the first two digits of the serial number. Mine was made in 1976 (yup, it's that old) and carries S/N 7644. Whether that convention carried forward to when yours was made, I don't know.

How are the parts availability on compressors of around 1980? Would hate to get something with no parts to fix it.

How are the parts availability on compressors of around 1980? Would hate to get something with no parts to fix it.

So far, no issue getting parts for my '76. Some (like the 4th stage head) need to be adapted a bit (in that case to fit the tubing) but no unsolvable problems to date. Usual replacement items like valves are used in later compressors and are no problem at all. These things have a 30K hour design life. Mine runs a couple hundred hours a year. At that rate, it will outlast *me*.

Sort of like the compressor is my (by coincidence) 1976 Onan genset. Parts availability not a problem at all for that, either. Still purrs along at 2700 hours or so as a house backup. Or, my 1965 John Deere tractor. I'd still have it if so many things hadn't happened to wear out at the same time (most after a few replacements), making it more cost-effective to buy new. You can still get any part for that tractor in 2 days. (I bought another Deere, of course.)

So I should be trying to match the year of my Onan DJB then? :wink: I never ended up hooking it up since at the house we almost never have an outage. Work is a different story. But that is self-inflicted...... Who knew a tall piece of heavy equipment will hook onto the overhead utility lines. (300kW Onan at work plus a 250kW and 950kW Cat)

What are some of the advantages/disadvantages of dealing with a K14 of this age? it has a 10hp gas engine on it currently. Would it be possible to run it with a 5hp electric motor. I would expect to have to turn the unit somewhat slower to not overload the motor, but would the speed it would need to run provide enough oil pressure to lubricate properly?

Patrick

I'm pretty sure that's a splash lubricated machine. No problem turning it slower. 5 Hp gets you 7.4 CFM.

I believe that the 4th stage is pressure lubricated and everything else is splash.

In any case, I have it on good authority that these can be turned down to about 50% of original rpms with less vibration, less heat, less wear, and no problem with lubrication.

Back
Top Bottom