Dating a Mako K14

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'd assume the year is 1980 with the Bauer block. Mine is an 84 and 84 is in the s/n. You can definitely get parts. I could never give up my k14. Buy it and fix it up or pay a professional to. You'll be happy.

So I should be trying to match the year of my Onan DJB then? :wink: I never ended up hooking it up since at the house we almost never have an outage. Work is a different story. But that is self-inflicted...... Who knew a tall piece of heavy equipment will hook onto the overhead utility lines. (300kW Onan at work plus a 250kW and 950kW Cat)

What are some of the advantages/disadvantages of dealing with a K14 of this age? it has a 10hp gas engine on it currently. Would it be possible to run it with a 5hp electric motor. I would expect to have to turn the unit somewhat slower to not overload the motor, but would the speed it would need to run provide enough oil pressure to lubricate properly?

Patrick

I have an 8HP single-phase electric motor on mine. It turns 950 RPM, IIRC (what Bauer says it should run at) and it's smooth and quiet. I don't know whether the oil pump for the 4th stage would develop enough pressure if you turn it slower than that.

Thanks for the info. I was thinking of trying to be in the 900 rpm range if I went to a 5 hp electric.

It's good to know parts are still available.

Well, the K-14 is sitting in the back of my truck. Kind of on the heavy side to unload by myself.....

Now to see how much money I have to put into it. Gas engine looks original to it. Somebody was tinkering with it and removed the gas tank, muffler, and a welch plug..... I had already made plans to make it electric so not worried on that front.

Patrick

It so happens that an Onan engine that will power a K14 is in my shed. It needs an exhaust and carb float. Yours for the taking if you want it (pick-up only, of course).

It’s a belt driven oil lube System. The belt for that sits behind that plastic shroud up front. Uses the same valves as the new ones. Virtually indestructible. Of course you will have breakdowns from time to time, but parts are easy to come by.

Also other than being belt driven oil pump your final stage is high pressure oil lube which is controlled by the final stage pressure. You can adjust it by taking off that acorn not on the block by the oil sight glass. Unless you put a guage on it I highly do not recommend trying to set it yourself.

My Mako K14 came with 1/8" plastic tubing that connected to the gauge panel for the first three stages as well as the oil pressure. Working pressure in the 900 PSI range for the third stage and oil pressure. Anybody have sources for it? I can't seem to find tubing with that high of a pressure rating. I'm also in need of the 1/8" tube to 1/8" pipe fittings.

Patrick

Back
Top Bottom