Davao Pix

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kupu

ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Here are some pix from Davao taken a few months ago. I usually spend plenty of time in Davao when in the Philippines, I really like the city and the diving is quite good. Add in Gensan and the wrecks of Coron and thats my top 3 list in the Philippines right now.

First are a few shots taken on Talicud in the vicinity of Babusanta and Angels Cove.
warty-frogfish---Davao-2007.jpg

Looks like a warty frogfish, although it doesn't match the ID photos in the books I have.

There is a patch of coral where mandarin fish are almost always hiding during the day, with patience, they can be seen, although getting a decent shot is another story.

On the shallow wall that stops at around 60 ft in front of Babusanta, at the bottom is a small purple coral fan where few pygmy seahorses hang out.

Not sure about this one, maybe a sand perch? Saw it on a sunrise dive, after a couple of shots it disappeared under the sand completely.

A small file fish.

Now a couple from Samal island...

Interesting things during a full moon night dive at El Magic resort, including this hermit crab releasing eggs.

In front of Paradise Resort is this fairly new underwater sculpture by the local artist Kublai. Also worth checking out Ponce Suites, even if you don't stay there, the walls and most everything are completely covered with his artwork. Not a bad place to have a meal at the restaurant on the forth floor, with good views over the city.

I saw several of these fire colored nudibranchs on a night dive on Marissa 1. Can't find any ID for them...

On the same dive a couple of tiny octopus, just a few inches large on the body.

Platydoris formosa nudie from a night dive on front of El Magic Resort. Its a great place for night dives, I've seen plenty of interesting things there.

Another night dive on Marissa 1. Risbecia tyroni nudi.

Hypselodoris emma nudi from Isla Reta. This place is a great muck site.

Thuridilla bayeri nudi from Isla Reta.

Ceratosoma trilobatum nudi from Isla Reta.

Chromodoris verrieri nudi from around Angels Cove.

Chromodoris coi nudi on a night dive at Midway Reef.

Phyllidia ocellata nudi from a Midway Reef night dive.

how about a link so we can see the bigger-sized pictures? :)

Sorry for the small pix, I can't figure out how to make the the pictures larger in my post when I insert them from my SB gallery. They always show up as thumbnails, not sure what to do. But you should be able to click on the thumbs to open the larger shots?

I'm still learning the finer points of sharing pictures... doing the resizing for upload, inserting them in posts, etc. But its fun, I'll keep working at it.

Sorry for the small pix, I can't figure out how to make the the pictures larger in my post when I insert them from my SB gallery. They always show up as thumbnails, not sure what to do. But you should be able to click on the thumbs to open the larger shots?

I'm still learning the finer points of sharing pictures... doing the resizing for upload, inserting them in posts, etc. But its fun, I'll keep working at it.
don't stress it bro...

most of us use 3rd-party photo hosting services like Image hosting, free photo sharing & video sharing at Photobucket or Welcome to Flickr - Photo Sharing

they also make it so much easier to post a pic while typing your message :biggrin:

Jag

"Sorry for the small pix, I can't figure out how to make the the pictures larger in my post when I insert them from my SB gallery. They always show up as thumbnails, not sure what to do. But you should be able to click on the thumbs to open the larger shots?"

Can confirm that clicking on them does open them up and allows you to supersize them

Thanks for the hint on using 3rd party picture hosting, I was thinking to try that and see what happened, I'll give a shot.

Most of my dives are with Davao Dive, a good mix of locals and tourists on the boat. Plenty happy with them. I enjoy the after dive San Miguels with Frank, the Danish owner, and local Engma/Maeng is a easy going guy with great eyes for critters. We took some tanks up to Surigao this time and did some exploratory dives around Turtle Island, which was a great trip, and occasionally trips are arranged to other less dived areas around southern Mindanao. Exploration dives are my kind of diving, I get a kick out of jumping into unknown waters.

I really meant to check in with Bing at Carabao while I was there...I plan on heading back this fall so hopefully then I will see what Carabao has to offer.

My camera is just a $250 point and shoot UW setup, takes good macro but more misses than hits on the bigger stuff. If the vis is great I can manage decent shots of stuff further away. The luxury of stashing it in my pocket while diving when not needed makes up for the lower quality. It's all about having fun...

nice pics dustin... i was meaning to catch you when you were here... i've shared a couple of drinks with frank too, but it wasn't san miguels. the guy literally sucks the life out of tanduay long necks :11:

maybe we could convince the guys here to do davao first, then drive to gensan... now that would be quite a trip :D

Back
Top Bottom