Day 3 of 4 OW course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jon-boi

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
First OW dive today at Buddleigh. :D Vis was around 3 m and bottom temp 15 oC.

There was a bit if a current /surge at the beach and I didn't go far enough in to stay stable to put fins on...in the end by class mate buddy put them on for me.

Next thing was to check buoyancy - did this and seemed weighted about right but I noticed my weight belt was slipping a little, I mentioned this to the instructor and we agreed that was on the bottom I could doff/don getting on exercise done and sorting the belt out....never got that far....:( After being pushed around for a little and before we descended I noticed the weight belt really was heading south. :shakehead This resulted in a few attempts to correct it with the DM helping. It was sorted in the end but I think I spent a bit more energy than expected doing that.

We descended and finned out a bit but the current was making life a little more difficult to make headway. Anyway, we hadn't planned on any skills it was just a 'get-to-know-the-sea' type dive. Depth was 5m and logged 20minutes. At that point my air had reached our agreed turn-around of 120 and one of the other divers signalled a problem equalizing....so we ascended, checked we were okay and then snorkelled back in the 100/150m from the shore.

My next problem came on exit...too far up the shore before attempting to remove fins meant I had no chance standing on my feet. I was pushed over pretty quickly and must have looked like a beached whale...I fought for a while but realised I wasn't gonna win...the instructor came over got me fins off and helped me out...I took off the rig and took a breather on the pebbles - which gave me a chance to run over what happened with the instructor. :coffee: :14:

Okay, some might say that I should have known 'x' or 'y' and the instructor should have done 'z' but I learned a lot today and I believe that the experience will be good for me.

During the dive I was happy with everything (as far as it can be at this point).

So, tomorrow we do the 3 remaining OW dives - most likely at the same shore dive spot. Back at the LDS/training centre after logging the dive I spent a good while with the helpful folks looking at different weight options (shot belt, harness, integrated). In the end we settled on staying with the weight belt but redistributed the weights which made it more comfortable - and I know that I need to tighten it up over the wetsuit a bit better next time!!! :wink:

jon-boi:
but I noticed my weight belt was slipping a little, I mentioned this to the instructor and we agreed that was on the bottom I could doff/don getting on exercise done and sorting the belt out...

Just wondering.. weren't you taught in the pool how to doff/don your weight belt on the surface of the water? I remember being required on my 1st or 2nd OW dive to perform this task (inflate BCD, remove weight belt then roll back into it and fasten with reg in mouth and face in the water).

Well, we didn't have to inflate our BCDs for it, and we only learnt it in the pool dive that came after the first OW dive, and had to do it in the second.

Hi - yep same as Thijsie - we did that in our final pool session which was right after first OW dive.

Anyway, today we should be going for our last 3 OWC dives the conditions from thw webcams look okay but we'll see what the instructor decides....

Don't be ashamed of falling over! That beach is very steep and I have done this enough times coming out of the water after swimming when the sea is rough. Please keep going with your stories. I want to dive off Budleigh sometime so it is very useful info for me. Good luck with the rest of your dives!:14:

Back
Top Bottom