Day Trips in Eastern Australia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

trpltongue

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello all,

My family (wife, 12yr daughter, 9yr son) and I are traveling to Australia from Dec 17 - Jan 6 and would love to do 4-5 days diving while we are there.

Daugher is certified, but as our son is only 9 and won't be able to dive, I don't think liveaboard options would be very useful for us.

Our itinerary is completely flexible so I'm wondering what are the best dive sites for day trips (or possibly island resorts where there may be child care) considering we'll need to either have child care, or take turns diving.

Would love to see the fantastic coral and underwater wildlife that Australia has to offer. Frankly it's overwhelming to try to identify locations because there are sooo many.

Thanks for any advice,

Russell

Peak holiday season in Australia, so will be very busy wherever you go. Any idea on where you plan to go? For example, you could fly into Sydney, then drive north to Brisbane and dive South West Rocks and Byron Bay. This would give you grey nurse sharks and some coral. Then fly to Cairns and do day trips out to the reef, but very expensive. Lot of other options as well.

Michael,

We don't have any plans set yet :) This is primarily a land based vacation, but we will plan to spend 4-5 days diving as well.

We know we will be in Melbourne, Sydney, Gold Coast, Sunshine Coast. We have also been planning to go to Port douglas or other northern area specifically to dive the GBR. However, I'm reading more and more about South West Rocks and Byron Bay, and if those sites are better than diving the GBR, then we'd save ourselves a lot of time and effort going up north. We would still likely do at least 1 day of diving the GBR, because, well, it's the GBR :) I couldn't come all the way to Australia and not dive the GBR :)

Routing and duration in each place is completely flexible, other than we'll be in Sydney around new years (yes, it's crazy expensive, but when the wife dictates....).

Another option might be lady Elliot island. Good for non divers too although must like water or snorkelling as there's not much else to do. But it's the barrier reef plus you get all the manta action.

But Byron and south west rocks are great. Byron will prob be difficult for accomm at that time of year. It's gets very very busy

I'd recommend a dive in Melbourne. Look up redboats. And there's lovely wineries etched down where the diving is for the non divers.

Hi

Some comments on sites around Northern NSW and Southern Qld.

Juilian Rocks - Byron Bay is a great dive I would go with Blue Bay they run a bigger boat than Sundive/Byron Bay Dive centre, and you stay out for a double dive. Welcome to Blue Bay Divers - Byron Bay's Most Comfortable Dive and Snorkel Boat Very relaxed professional operation (and I do no and have not used Sundive and Byron Bay dive centre)
Given the time of year you may see may there may be leopard sharks, mata rays... As said above Byron is very busy but a fun place Sundive and Byron Bay dive centre both have dive hostels some may accommodate and dive, their hostels are a short walk to the beach.

Flat Rock and Manta Bommie - Point Lookout Stradbroke Island (off Brisbane) Manta Lodge and Scuba Centre : Stradbroke Island :: Learn to Dive - Online Open Water Course
Given the time of year you should see Mana Rays of Manta Bommie and other bigger fish of Flat Rock. Stradbroke Island is a great place to visit, great beaches and a nice 'pub' looking out to the ocean top for an afternoon beer!

Flinders Reef - off Brisbane there are a number of local operators that dive here (I haven't used than as I have my own boat for this dive) typically on weekends. Go Dive run Fridays Scuba Dive Brisbane | Go Dive Brisbane | Learn To Scuba Dive | PADI Dive Shop and are a good shop. Go Dive may also run to some more remote sites that are not dived a lot. https://www.google.com.au/search?q=f...ef+moreton+bay
Should see good coral, lots of fish and turtles.

Cherubs/Henderson/China Wall off the east side of Moreton Island. These are great dives 20-30m rocky reefs likely interesting topography. Probably better in winter with Grey Nurse and whales. Limited commercial diving as most operators do not go here. Go Dive may run a trip if conditions are right.

South West Rocks is a spectacular dive Fish Rock Cave Fish Rock Cave - Dive Fish Rock with the South West Rocks Dive Centre Australia.
Probably see Gray Nurse possible hammer head sharks. South west Rocks Dive centre have a hostel. Diving is quite weather constrained so you could need a few days stop to get out. Some great beaches in the area. and a nice lighthouse at Smoky Cape, you can stay in the light house cottages, its a great stop to stay :)

At Sunshine Coast (Mooloolaba) just north of Brisbane, if you feel like a wreck dive (sunk navy ship), on the ex-HMAS Brisbane. I have dived with Sun Reef a few times they were good http://www.sunreef.com.au/dive-the-e...ne-wreck-dive/ there is also http://scubaworld.com.au/dive-sites/dive-hmas-brisbane/ also a good operator.

Coral can be found at Heron island. There is a resort and research station on the island. There is accommodation on the island. http://diveadventures.com.au/pages/d...alia/heron.htm. I have dived this reef system but only from a 70foot yacht that no longer operates in the area.

Lady Elliot island will also get you on the GBR. I have friends who camp on the island on alternate Christmases. They take all the dive gear and compressor! But there is a resort :) Diving on Lady Elliot Island | Lady Elliot Island Eco Resort Great Barrier Reef

Wow! Thanks MA and Tbar, great info for me to look up.

Yeah, my son loves the water, so a resort / dive location could be great.

Hi mate, be aware that if intending on diving up north that it will be the wet season and stinger season. You could end up sitting in your hotel room due to really crap weather.

Melbourne diving has a lot to offer with fantastic shore diving as well as easy access boat dives.

It will be busy at that time of year and you will need to pre book boat dives and gear. Especially since we have had a spate of dive shops shut down this winter on the Mornington peninsula.

If you make it up as far as Cairns then there are many different day trip options and Cairns is considered the gateway to the Barrier Reef. There are day trip dive / snorkel boats which vary form dedicated dive / snorkel e.g. Tusa or Sea Quest to these that go to pontoons so you can get off. These (like Reef Magic) have glass bottom boats, under water observatories, pretty good diving etc. So great for families that don't want to just dive. May be a great option for your son as he won't miss out on anything.

Also look at some of the islands up here like Green Island (not the best for diving, but good snorkeling and plenty of things to do.

Thanks again all!

I'm leaning towards going to Cairns (or actually Port Douglas) and doing day trips from there. Heron and Lady Elliot look amazing, but pretty boring to spend 3-4 days there for the adult and kid who don't get to go out diving. From Cairns, the pair not diving can go explore the town.

My only concern with Cairns is the bleaching on the sites near there. It looks like I'd want to stay towards the mid-southern GBR to avoid the more seriously bleached areas according to this:
Great Barrier Reef bleaching stats are bad enough without media misreporting

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom