DC1000 housing button issue?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rayaa3

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi - so I've had a reefmastermini for a couple years with sl961D - and I loved it. It was time to upgrade to a better setup - so - I recently bought a DC1000 Maxx kit.

Right now I'm a external strobe - AUTOMATIC SETTING - guy - however, I'm trying to learn. So last night I was playing with the controls when the camera was out of the housing. I put the camera in extenal strobe, MANUAL settings. I played with the 2 aperture settings, and the various exposure time settings. I put the camera in the housing to continue to play, and I couldn't get one of the buttons to work. The LEFT arrow button (<-) which doubles as an exposure control button (has little +/- on it, it's just left of the green set button) doesn't seem to work when camera is in the housing. After some experimenting I discovered the housing button does indeed work. When I press it, the plunger on the inside does push inward. However when pressed it just doesn't seem to reach into the housing far enough to touch the button on the camera. Why this matters: if you intend to use the manual settings this button is going to be used to turn "down" exposure time or aperture during your dive.

So am I the only one whose ever seen this? Is there a work around or some bit of fixing that I can do for this? I doube that the gap between the housing button and the camera button is much when pressed, I even considered getting a couple small specs of duck tape, layering it on the inside of the housing, on the button so it would reach further. However, I dont' know if the glue on the duck tape would break down anything inside the housing and thought better of it.

Any advice appreciated. I have a trip to Roatan in 2 weeks - I doubt it will be something I can definitely fix by then (hey maybe it will be simple), but then I have another trip in July - and I'de like to be good to start trying manual settings by then.

thanks,
Ray

Ray,

Great to hear that you have moved into the DC1000 camera system, you will have a blast an denjoy shooting with it, and especially in macro mode since you moved from a Mini.

Also nice to hear that you are playing with it on land before heading out on your dive trip. I highly recommend to all that you play around on land getting used to settings and adjusting the strobes for best lighting conditions.

With regards to the button not making contact, this could happen as more than likely your camera/housing is at the extremes of tolerences with manufacturing thus causing it to be just on the verge of contact. The other factor is that when diving with the camera, there is some "compression" on the housing which can make it contact the switch. Easily fixed with a new cap to fit on the button. If you could PM me your address, I can get one out to you in the mail.

regards,
Joe

I'll post some pics after coming back from Roatan :) I'm very much an amateur, but I enjoy boring other people with my vacation photos as much as the next guy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom