DC1400 resists firmware upgrade

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

marcushall

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
So, the instructions seem clear and easy enough, but there must be some detail that I am overlooking here..

Camera is a DC1400 just purchased (old stock, but a great deal). System Info shows V1.05 currently installed. Downloaded ME560PXM.bin file from web site. MD5 sum is:

a7c83809a33170d80b0985ce8206200e ME560PXM.bin

File info:

-rw-rw-r--. 1 marcus marcus 5513244 May 13 22:53 ME560PXM.bin

16GB flash drive formatted in the camera.

Copy ME560PXM.bin onto the flash card. Put card into camera. Hold down shutter release (fully depressed, not 1/2 depressed). Press power button. LED flashes just a couple of times, same as typical power-on sequence. Note that I would expect it to take longer here, so it looks like it may not recognize that there is an upgrade... Sure enough, System Info still shows V1.05.

Like I said, it sure seems like it should be rather simple, but it is confounding me.. It seems to work just fine for other people.. Technology is usually my friend...

Morning,

Hope this helps. If not please contact us at techservice@sealife-cameras.com.

Firmware Updating Procedure for SeaLife DC1400 Underwater Camera

1. Download firmware version “V2014”

1. Save the ME560PXM.bin firmware file to your memory card, to top level of SD card, not inside any folder. The name of the file on the SD card must be ME560PXM.bin.

1. Insert the memory card into the camera.

1. First Push and HOLD the shutter button and then power on the camera. Once the green status light starts to flicker you can release both shutter and power button.

1. The green status light will flicker for 5 – 10 seconds and the camera splash screen will appear.

Your camera is now updated and ready to use – ENJOY.

Note: To confirm the firmware has been installed correctly, select “Sys Info” located in the Set-up Menu.

I didn't even know there was a firmware update so thanks for the posts.

Well, I hate to say it but it appears that linux has let me down on this one. with the SD card mounted as a vfat filesystem, it appears that the filename is not in the right form for the camera to recognize. I found a windows system and wrote the file to the same SD card with that and the camera saw the file and updated without any hitch.

I do recall a change in the vfat filesystem a year or two ago that was made to avoid infringing on Microsoft patents, and I suspect that it may be that this changes the underlying "short filename" to be different than what windows creates, but since ME560PXM.bin contains lower-case letters it gets a long filename created for it, but the camera may be really looking for the short filename.. At least, that's what I suspect. I don't have the time to thoroughly investigate it at the moment.

Nevertheless, I definately feel let down by linux... Bummer. Time to go diving to get my spirits up I guess...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom