DC2000 Knowledge and Results

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

duncdiver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Returned from photography seminar in Anilao, Philippines and my first usage. Other than one GoPro user, I was seriously "out gunned" by all other dozen attendees. But I was quite happy with my results as compared to these well experienced, well equipped, semi-pro photographers. My "cost per photo" was quite less!

I live in Colorado, not near any diving, and only do a few vacation-style trips per year. I purchased a DC2000 "Dual Pro" system, and additional 2300 flood light, and two Flex arms. I will be purchasing two more flex arms to provide additional length and strobe position options based on what I learned from the excellent underwater photography class offered at Crystal Blue Resort [www.divecbr.com]. I may add another strobe, although my single strobe results were quite acceptable once I learned their techniques.

The DC2000 was an excellent compromise between quality and ease of use, portability, etc. I was able to rearrange and modify the foam protectors to place the camera, strobe, and two 2300 floodlights into just one of the SeaLife cases. I used the other small case to hold all other items.

In general the DC2000 uses a pre-flash for final focus and lighting adjustment when in any non-(U)nderwater mode. This causes the external strobe to trigger and they can not recover quickly enough for the final flash where the image is captured. The manual does not describe how the "Ext Flash" mode is only found in the "Underwater mode" menu. One configured, it works well. You can use the 2300 (max lumen) auto-dimming floodlight for focus. I found the lowest power setting was fine for focus, and the battery life was much better, i.e. can complete two consecutive dives with continuous flood lighting on all the time. An ideal still photo setup would use a single flood on the cold shoe for focus, and dual strobes. An ideal video/combo setup would use dual floods, and a strobe on the cold shoe for those occasional still photos. I was able to manually place the second flood light to side or back light some subjects, and also used it as a dive light.

This seminar concentrated on macro photography and the Anilao diving site provided many colorful nudibranch opportunities along with various species of frog fish, pygmy sea horses, etc. Although SeaLife does not currently offer a macro lens, the stock lens worked pretty well. For macro images, I had great success using a fixed aperture (f/5.6), shutter speed (1/250), and ISO setting (125), and adjusted the strobe angle to the subject with about 1/2 strobe power. I also experimented with both aperture and shutter speed priority, but you need to resync the strobe with these settings per the instructions in the manual. These were not as successful - exposurewise, as I achieved with full manual control. And I could quickly switch from (M)anual control to (U)nderwater mode for shooting those unexpected larger subjects, like sea turtles and obligatory selfies. The Underwater mode videos need a little post-process color correction for true white balance when the subject is not within a couple feet or so, but otherwise very good.

In conclusion, this is an excellent camera for the "vacation" diver. Very light, portable, versatile, works well above water, and to 60 ft without an enclosure! The only drawback was that the high dollar camera/enclosure systems allow trigger-quick changing of f-stop, etc. to rapidly adjust exposure or depth of field, whereas the DC2000 requires diving into a cumbersome menu that was not conducive to gloved hands when under manual control. "Full Auto" would not always produce good macro photos, but performed pretty well for larger subjects. The "auto" strobe setting was often disappointing as well, but can be quickly adjusted manually.

The following photos are un-retouched JPG's.

DSCI0769 (Large).JPG
DSCI0362 (Large).JPG
DSCI1017 (Large).JPG
DSCI0853 (Large).JPG
DSCI0736 (Large).JPG
DSCI0807 (Large).JPG
DSCI0730 (Large).JPG

Last edited:
I didn't purchase nor try this as i knew the class was macro focused.

I just figured how to create a personal album here, and have uploaded some more photos. These are all un-retouched JPGs. I "think" I have adjusted permission so all SB members can view here. Let me know if issues or comments. PM preferred.

I use to live in Paonia, Hotchkiss and Delta when I got out of the Army. Do you have a Local Dive Store in Crawford?

What about wide angle and fisheye lens, what do they have and did you do any wide angle/fiesheye or CFWA photography?

If you're looking for CFWA examples with the fisheye lens, I took quite a few of them with the DC2000 on my last trip to Bonaire. The new sensor and full manual control makes quite a bit of difference.
Bonaire - May 2017 - pillpusher

I use to live in Paonia, Hotchkiss and Delta when I got out of the Army. Do you have a Local Dive Store in Crawford?
Ha! Lots of feed and tackle stores, but no dive shop. I have yet to visit the one in Grand Junction

I use a fisheye (often) on my DC1200. I use it more for fish ID and photographing larger things. LIke fish. It has some advantages in that if you are shooting quickly and have to rely on autofocus it has a much greater depth of field which happens a lot with my diving. Has the obvious disadvantage that you cannot shoot real close and will make things look smaller. I mostly shoot the fisheye but will take it off if I see a nudibranch, blenny, or some other cooperative target.

If you're looking for CFWA examples with the fisheye lens, I took quite a few of them with the DC2000 on my last trip to Bonaire. The new sensor and full manual control makes quite a bit of difference.
Bonaire - May 2017 - pillpusher

VERY nice!

Nice set of pix. Respectable for anyone, even more for a relative newbie.
Did Mike do the seminar or someone else?
Who was your guide?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom