DC2000 - Moisture in Housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Divegoose

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I recently received a Sea Life DC2000 Pro Duo kit as a Christmas gift. I have taken it on approximately 15 dives. Results have been mixed - some very good shots, and some not so very good shots.

The problem I am experiencing is moisture within the housing. The first couple of dives there was little to no moisture once I opened the housing. The last few dives there has been what I believe to be too much moisture in the housing, including large water droplets.

At the suggestion of my LDS where the kit was purchased, I took the empty housing on a dive to 90 feet. It was just the housing, and not mounted on a tray. When I opened the housing after the dive it was totally dry.

Yesterday I took the camera, mounted on the tray, along with the flash unit and video light on a dive to 70 feet. When I opened the housing later to take the camera out, there was a lot of moisture inside. The housing was not flooded, but there were some big water droplets inside.

I am following the manual to a "T", yet there are still water droplets inside. I am wondering if tightening the housing to the tray may torque it to the point it leaks a bit.

Any thoughts / suggestions on how to solve this issue would be appreciated. I have an upcoming Caribbean trip, and want to have a dry camera unit to take lots of pictures.

Dive safe !!

Divegoose

Are you using Moisture Munchers, or a similar desiccant?

068714_new_big.jpg

I have a DC1400 and have never had a moisture issue, but I have a MM in the housing at all times, whether the camera is in it or not.

Yes - I have moisture munchers in the housing. Too much moisture for the muncher to absorb :eek:

Divegoose

Is it possible that one of the housing buttons leaks a drop or two when pressed? This way, if you just take it down, it stays dry, but when you press the button(s) to operate the camera, some water gets in.

I would call Sea Life and have a chat. Their customer service is outstanding. I have the DC2000 with hundreds of dives and thousands of photos and never had any moisture in the housing and I don't use any moisture munchers. I think @Barmaglot might be on to something with the "buttons" - Maybe the camera is not sitting perfectly in the housing and aligned perfectly?

Is it possible that one of the housing buttons leaks a drop or two when pressed? This way, if you just take it down, it stays dry, but when you press the button(s) to operate the camera, some water gets in.

When I took the empty housing on the dive, I pressed all the buttons numerous times but had no water issues.

Divegoose

I would call Sea Life and have a chat. Their customer service is outstanding. I have the DC2000 with hundreds of dives and thousands of photos and never had any moisture in the housing and I don't use any moisture munchers. I think @Barmaglot might be on to something with the "buttons" - Maybe the camera is not sitting perfectly in the housing and aligned perfectly?

I am wondering the same thing, but as noted above I used all the buttons and had no leak issues. I was also thinking that tightening the housing to the tray may cause some misalignment. One the last dive I didn't tighten the housing down as tight, and still had the moisture issues. My LDS is contacting the Canadian rep / distributor to get some feedback on how to solve this issue. I'll try giving Sea Life Customer Service a call as well.

Divegoose

I would call Sea Life and have a chat. Their customer service is outstanding.

I'll second that. Had to deal with them on a self-imposed problem (didn't fully tighten the back cap on a flash), and they were a joy to work with.

Tried the toll free number in an attempt to contact Customer Service, but it only works in the U.S.

Sent an e-mail describing the issue. Customer Service said I could send the housing back to them if I was in the U.S. or "if outside the US, you should try contacting the local distributor, to see if they can assist you with your problem".

My LDS contacted the Canadian distributor and advised him of the moisture issue. Got a call from my LDS yesterday, and I should have a new housing next week !!

I really wish I knew what was causing the moisture issue - dove yesterday and today, and water droplets were in the housing after both dives. Did get some great pictures though - among them a rock scallop and a ling cod !!

DSCI0353.JPG
DSCI0356.JPG

Dive safe !!

Divegoose

Attachments

• DSCI0353.JPG
    DSCI0353.JPG
    83.6 KB · Views: 163
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom