DC800 Video Mode Question?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Never updated the number of my dives that was 20 in my first week. I am well past that now. And I dont spear fish like the rest of my buddies, so I need something to do under there.
Okaaaay, hope you each carry pony bottles - as hunters follow their guns, shooters follow their cameras, and doesn't sound like you have buddy pairs anyway. Otherwise, have fun...!

Ed, our offices are located across Philly in Moorestown NJ. If you want to come by one day, I can run you through your options. We ourselves do not sell direct but any of the shops in the area can get you the extra arm that you need.

The only thing I purchased from Ultrolight were the ball and knuckle assembly right under the light. I picked up at the BTS show for around $40 if my memory is still there!

The light Canon is pretty hefty as well.

I haven't heard of anyone using just a light to shoot pics with but you would have to white balance to the temp of that specific light. By using the flash, our, eberything is sync'd to the temp and speed so it works.

Bigphillyfish,
You dont need flash if you have a good uw light that works for video too. i know many uw photographers that use just a uw flash light to take pictures with. i would suggest you go out and dive and take as many pictures as u can to see the results. for macro and close-up's this should work well. if you can afford the flash unit you will get better picture results.

i dont think the light canon is a good light for this. i use two eLed C8 but i also made a diffusor to "spread" the light beam. video lights are designed to have a wider beam, totally opposite of the light canon. i still use flash stobe units for my pictures and the C8's for my dive lights and for video.

really tho, just get out and experiment. you may be satisfied with the flash light only...you may not.

Bigphillyfish,
You dont need flash if you have a good uw light that works for video too. i know many uw photographers that use just a uw flash light to take pictures with. i would suggest you go out and dive and take as many pictures as u can to see the results. for macro and close-up's this should work well. if you can afford the flash unit you will get better picture results.

i dont think the light canon is a good light for this. i use two eLed C8 but i also made a diffusor to "spread" the light beam. video lights are designed to have a wider beam, totally opposite of the light canon. i still use flash stobe units for my pictures and the C8's for my dive lights and for video.

really tho, just get out and experiment. you may be satisfied with the flash light only...you may not.
My thots on using the light canon came from that my buddy already has one that he hardly ever uses, that I could borrow. :eyebrow: Looks like my next dive trip will be solo anyway, and he's certainly borrowed enough of my stuff even when we were diving together - like my spare computer when he forgot his on the pre-trip checkout dives and again when his computer leaked on the trip, which was good example of why we have dress rehearsal dives. I am not interested in spending a lot of money on a Big Blue Light, altho it looks like a sweet setup for those who do want to - but since I can borrow his, add it to my PAPolicy, and strap it to my Ext-Flash arm with cable ties - I might try some cave & night videos. When I shoot stills for online slide shows or video for online sharing, I have no expectations of producing National Geographic quality - just going to the feeling of being there to share with the vast majority of my friends who don't have the courage and interest to do what we do: dive. Even if my videos included large hot spots surrounded by darkness, that sounds fun for effect. :crafty:

Bigphillyfish,

Well the UK Light Cannon, comes with video light diffusers. A lot of the video guys use them. And with the UK there is a mounting adapter that allows you to mounty this thing to almost anything. And for a $200.00 HID light you can't really beat it.

I am heading down to Boyton beach in 12 days. So I will have 4 days of diving to test it out. I will post some results.

Joe's picture shows that he used the Big Blue 1 X 5 LED AFO Dive Light (139.99), complete with the ball joint.
I love the idea of just using 1 light for both stills and video but guess it all depends on the white balance and the diffusion of the light.

I am investigating for purchase. I'd like to buy a DC800, purchase the Big Blue light in place of a flash (if this is do-able), then to connect the two, use any standard flexible arm (with a base plate) as no wires would be required. Sound about right or am I missing something?

Scotto007,

In theory that is right but be cautious about what arms you use for this purpose. You need something that is strong enough to hold up whatever light you use. I believe the Nano Flash has a pretty light arm system which may work for the flashead they use, but mght not be strong enough for your loght.

See if you can try the arms out first to make sure before dropping money down.

And hello from a fellow Maritimer!

Here is my version, I also made a post for the DIY video light here

3285936338_89384a85b4.jpg

Underwater Kintetics HID Light Canon

SeaLife Joe, is your Big Blue light the 1x5 or the 3x5?? Thanks

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom