DCS aftermath

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There is no credible published evidence that aspirin either reduces the likelihood of DCS or materially alters its course once sustained:

ASPIRIN USE, NITROX BENEFITS, POSITIONING TRIM WEIGHTS
September 2008 Volume 18 Number 9

Adjuvant drug therapy for decompression sickness: a review
http://archive.rubicon-foundation.org/mwg-internal/de5fs23hu73ds/progress?id=GZp3pzHIuS

Aspirin in decompression sickness
[Aspirin in decompression sickness]. [Therapie. 2008 Nov-Dec] - PubMed - NCBI

Pharmacological intervention against bubble-induced platelet aggregation in a rat model of decompression sickness | Journal of Applied Physiology

However, there is good evidence that aspirin can cause worrisome conditions, e.g., Aspirin Side Effects in Detail - Drugs.com

Regards,

DocVikingo

There is no credible published evidence that aspirin either reduces the likelihood of DCS or materially alters its course once sustained:

Glad I ascribe to oxygen with my aspirin then, eh?

Geesh guys, let's not be nit picky. I was asking where the medical advice came from (DAN or the Male chamber op) and relating that I hadn't had such a serious hit (nothing more than achy niggles after a long, cold decompression).

No need to side track into a discussion on Aspirin. Sorry I mentioned it.

Glad I ascribe to oxygen with my aspirin then, eh?

Geesh guys, let's not be nit picky. I was asking where the medical advice came from (DAN or the Male chamber op) and relating that I hadn't had such a serious hit (nothing more than achy niggles after a long, cold decompression).

No need to side track into a discussion on Aspirin. Sorry I mentioned it.

Not really nit-picky at all, and totally reasonable of you to mention it, since it's a common consideration!

But that's how we learn, by trying to find out the science behind the stuff that we do out of habit. Some of it is borne out be research, some isn't, that's how our procedures and guidelines are continually being improved.

It's good for people reading this thread to learn what to do in case they ever find themselves in a similar situation. Seems pretty on-topic to me.

Not a competition, just a friendly discussion!

:)

I was asking where the medical advice came from (DAN or the Male chamber op) and relating that I hadn't had such a serious hit (nothing more than achy niggles after a long, cold decompression).

Not really sure how anyone on this forum is going to be able to definitively answer that unless they were directly involved in your care.

How it usually works is that once DAN has been contacted by a treatment provider the two will discuss reasonable courses of action given the specifics of the case. A facility would not likely provide any recompression tx without DAN's okay because if DAN said ixnay, it wouldn't get paid by them. The costs would then fall directly on you, and under those circumstances the facility would likely want payment up front.

Apparently DAN did approve appropriate recompression tx & the facility then did as it saw fit regarding the specific recompression profile. DAN may check back once tx has commenced to see how the affected diver is doing, but they typically do not micromanage.

BTW, I believe that doctormike & myself were only attempting to be helpful regarding aspirin, not to make a big deal about it.

Hopefully you'll find this reply more responsive to your particular concern.

Regards,

DocVikingo

Not really sure how anyone on this forum is going to be able to definitively answer that unless they were directly involved in your care.

I was referring to the OP and was hoping he could shed light on the decisions that were made while he was in the Maldives. Nothing to do with me or my care. The short chamber ride that the OP was given and the advice that followed seem strange to me.

To your point, if DAN were footing the bill, I'd have expected a different course of treatment.

Appreciate the diversions this thread has taken- it is all interesting and hopefully helpful. I was really posting to find out
-other people's stories about their recovery
- In simple terms, what is happening to my body?
- How can I aid in healing myself? (apart from resting)

I don't know how old you are, or how your health is otherwise, but I got curious. You say your symptoms are only one side. Have you had a CT/MR done of the head?
To rule out a TIA or a small stroke?

It seems in your case aquamarine1 that DAN and your treatment provider didn't discuss the appropriate treatment for you. Based on my experience I would highly recommend that anyone who experiences DCI to have the treating doctor consult with DAN on the appropriate treatment. The doctor who treated me obviously had little knowledge of dive medicine. I imagine this could be the case in many countries. DAN is only a phone call away.

Aquamarine1 - have you seen a dive doctor following your treatments to discuss your recovery? If not, I would suggest you do so. I saw a dive doctor immediately after I got back from Fiji but my head couldn't make much sense of what he was telling me. I went back to see him about 6 weeks later because I was still having symptoms and needed a medical declaration that I was still unfit to dive and unable to go on a planned dive trip. On that subsequent visit I asked a lot of questions and since my brain was functioning again I could actually understand what he was telling me. It was very helpful for me to understand what my body/brain had been through and what the likely recovery process would be.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom