DCS incident after wreckdive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Miyaru

Technical instructor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
The last day of april I made a wonderful dive on a deep wreck off the coast of Cavalaire, France, with two buddies. 18 minutes bottom time at 64m/210ft in clear water without any current. Ascent as planned. At a depth of 7m/23ft I started to get this dull, tired feeling in my left shoulder muscles. A meter higher, while switching to oxygen, that feeling of muscle ache turned into a sharp, hot, stinging pain. Throughout the stop the oxygen didn't improve the situation. I extended the stop, but no improvement. Ascending resulted in even more pain, it took me 12 minutes to reach the surface.

Back on the boat I continued breathing oxygen on the way back to the harbor. Once back, while sitting in the car and trying to deny the pain away, I called DAN for advice. Within 4 or 5 minutes, a hyperbaric physician was added to the phonecall and he decided recompression was necessary. Nearest chamber in Saint-Anne hospital, Toulon, was 40 minutes away. By the time I arrived there, my own O2 stage was empty.

And that's where the frustration starts. Apparently in France it costs money to visit your GP, but the emergency services in the hospital are free of charge. I arrived at 8pm at Saint-Anne in Toulon, in a waiting room with 20 people, breathing from my 2nd oxygen stage. I was registered at the desk and told to wait in line for all those "emergencies".
DAN called to check if I was in the chamber. The doctor was annoyed to hear that the hospital staff put me in line to wait for one of the two attending doctors. The urgency simply failed to register with these people.

The team from the recompression facility told me that they were called around 10pm, it took them half an hour to drive to the facility and another 20 minutes to locate me and prepare everything. 5 hours and 20 minutes after surfacing I finally went down to 18m/60ft and was switched to 100% oxygen (with airbreaks) for a B18 treatment (I guess Comex table).
chamber.jpg

All this time I was anxiously waiting for that descent. So the pain would stop. It didn't. It got worse and after 45 minutes I didn't know whether to sit, lie down on my back or on my side, every position was simply uncomfortably painful. An hour after the start I was brought up to 9m during 30 minutes. 100 minutes into the chamber-dive, the pain finally started to diminish. When I got out, the pain was gone, the only thing left was a very tired feeling in my shoulder.
Chamber1.jpg

10 hours later I went back down to 15m on oxygen (with airbreaks) for a good hour with a much faster ascent at the end. No signs/symptoms of anything residual.
Chamber2.jpg

It's the first time I experienced this and hopefully also the last time. My main concern now is how to prevent this the next time. ECG was fine, blood came back from the lab fine, neuro check was excellent, pulmonary checks fine, and the diveplan was followed as planned (15/45 trimix, EAN50 and O2, GF40/75). Computer profiles where compared from my SW and a team member's SW, the chamber staff concluded that I was simply unlucky on this dive.
Then again, you can also see it as a sports injury. Strains and sprains take longer to heal and happen all the time in numerous other sports. This experience has not scared me away from diving. I went back into the water yesterday evening for a shallow dive, using the two EAN50 stages I had left. Came out with a big smile on my face and feeling great.

Did I read correctly - you got bent on 30 April, and went for 2 rides. Then you were back in the water diving (shallow) 5 days later?

If so, I am curious... did your Dr's ok you to get back in the water so quickly, or did they advise you to stay out of water for a few weeks?

Alls well that ends well, most important thing is that you are doing ok and not seeing any residual effects. I am glad you are not afraid to jump back in!

If you felt shoulder pain at 7m, does it make sense to go deeper and try to come up slower, or is staying on the deco gas shallow the right decision???

Glad you are ok OP.
Curious about getting cleared so soon to dive as well.
I had to take 30 days initially, but wound up being about 90 waiting for additional tests.
At least you were taken/went to the right hospital, unlike me.

Did I read correctly - you got bent on 30 April, and went for 2 rides. Then you were back in the water diving (shallow) 5 days later?

If so, I am curious... did your Dr's ok you to get back in the water so quickly, or did they advise you to stay out of water for a few weeks?

Alls well that ends well, most important thing is that you are doing ok and not seeing any residual effects. I am glad you are not afraid to jump back in!
I wasn't cleared for diving. They told me 4 weeks. Standard advise. In my own country they always say 2 months. This advice is mostly based on experience with litigation, not so much on medical field experience.

The next day I had a call with DAN again. The doctor explained to me what decision will be made:
In about three weeks, the slight bone swelling in my shoulder should have healed. I will have a MRI scan from my shoulder after those 3 weeks, the scan results I will mail to the doctor in Belgium. He will then evaluate if and when I can dive beyond sports limits again.

So this was my own decision. I canceled my trimix dives this month, but I will be teaching in the pool next Wednesday.

If you felt shoulder pain at 7m, does it make sense to go deeper and try to come up slower, or is staying on the deco gas shallow the right decision???
Very good question. And right now it's easier to weigh all options.
In the water my decision making was blurred by pain. I decided to extend my stop on oxygen, knowing that 2 chambers are available within 1 hour. But now I am open for any advice on which decision to make.

When discussing whether or not I've ever been bent, I always say that I've never been bent out of the water. There have multiple times I've had shoulder pain in the water, on long dives. Whenever that has happened, it's started during or immediately after a move to a new deco stop. I go back to the old stop for at least another five minutes before trying to ascend again, and that has always worked it out for me. I haven't this issue since I moved to a rebreather and a higher low GF.

In the water my decision making was blurred by pain. I decided to extend my stop on oxygen, knowing that 2 chambers are available within 1 hour. But now I am open for any advice on which decision to make.

Ouch. Glad you found treatment and it was successful.

If I speculate a little trying to guess something to make the hit "deserved":
Any unusual stresses before the dive?
Change in diet?
Gas mixes analysis confirmed?
Gas switches ok?
History of injury?
Repetitive dive profiles matched your team? Residual tissue loading?
Unusual temperature change during deco?
Extraordinary exertion?

That's all my guesses from my armchair. Does anything make sense of the reason for the hit? Having worked in a chamber as a diver the "unreserved" hits are disturbing. I don't like feeling we roll the dice every dive.

Happy diving!
Cameron

I

Very good question. And right now it's easier to weigh all options.

Was it possible for you to re-descent (presumably to the pain relief depth) AND do extended stop on oxygen? They don't seem to be mutually exclusive, unless your re-descent would cause excess deco time on oxygen? Am asking, not drawing conclusions.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom