DCS incident after wreckdive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ross, out of curiosity, do you have Neal Pollock’s explicit permission to post a picture of a slide from one of his presentations?

<snip>

Precisely what caused his injury? There at least 20 possible contributing risk factors to be considered for the cause:

View attachment 459895

Ross, out of curiosity, do you have Neal Pollock’s explicit permission to post a picture of a slide from one of his presentations?

Picture is cited with Pollock credentials as presented in a public forum, its is shocking what some of the clowns around here will try instead of contributing.

Lame.....

While the pic does contain the auhor’s name, the credentials appear to originate from the slide itself. I agree that the content is relevant but personally, I would not publicly reproduce materials from anyone else’s presentation at TekDive (or similar conference) without express permission of the author. Of course it’s possible Ross has permission...

Picture is cited with Pollock credentials as presented in a public forum, its is shocking what some of the clowns around here will try instead of contributing.

Lame.....

Nothing was reproduced, exactly as the author intended it with his credentials.

Was tekdive a secretive conference or an educational conference .....

When one attends the TEKDiveUSA conferences, the organizers give guidance on these matters. One can only assume that the guest speakers have agreed to the same, or else they would not be there.

Last edited:
Guidelines for this forum section are to prevent blamestorming and support analysis. I wrote about my experience with the goal to learn from it and to prevent a second time. I do like the approach by @northernone since I don't either like feeling like I roll the dice on my next deep adventure.

As for those who are judging my decision to do some shallow diving: I discussed it upfront. I've spent 392 minutes under water since the incident, on high nitrox mixes and I felt better after each dive. The advice against diving for a period of time is very general and even differs from country to country. Rhetorical questions like If you had taken another hit shortly there after, would DAN insurance covered that too? do not add any value to mishap analysis.
The first scan results from my shoulder made yesterday, show zero damage. Next scan will be MRI to check for possible detailed residual damage.

I quote Dr. Neal Pollock with another slide (and I'm pretty sure the usage of this slide is within the intentions of his presentation):
vlcsnap-2018-05-15-13h44m05s088.png

"If you've been bent once, and you don't change your practice, you are very likely to get bent again. If, on the other hand, you get bent once and find religion, you are likely to never ever have a problem again"

As for hydration, peeing after the dive would resemble color 3 and 4. I drank 1,5 liters of water after the dive and it took another 20 minutes before I had to pee.

So, what I will change:
  • no repetitive deep dives with deco obligation, only one single dive per day
  • slower ascent rate
  • hydrate more before the dive
Thank you to all divers who have helped me in understanding what has happened. Keeping my mouth closed about my decisions that lead to DCS would not have helped me in trying to prevent a re-run.

Last edited:

Hello,

That's a good question. Most of us who speak at conferences often see our stuff reproduced fairly regularly and, in general, we don't mind so long as the content of the material is represented accurately. Unfortunately that is not always the case. Using the Pollock DCS slide as an example, its contents have been misrepresented on a number of occasions when it has been implied that the various factors depicted are given equal importance (which is not the case). However, this time I think both Ross's use of the slide and his post in which it appears are pretty much on the money.

My biggest problem with reproduction of Neal's slides on this thread is that terrible picture he took of me on a dive when I forgot my diving hat. Somehow underwater photos seem to accentuate baldness!

Simon M

Maybe stop a bit deeper next time and slow down your ascent.

But then again, some professionals promote “shooting” for the shallows as staying deeper increase DCS risks.

This is the logic that 20 years ago pushed all of us to believe that emphasising deep stopping would be the answer. Yes, without question, you can make diagrams like the multideco ones on this thread look more benign with deep stops. You can reduce the peaks in the faster tissues. But there is strong evidence to believe that it is what is going on in the slower tissues (however you define those), whose gas tracking looks a lot less dramatic on these sorts of figures, that is the more important determinant of risk. Even Ross's commentary on the implications of those figures has been very measured and cautious in this thread. In contrast, your appeal to something which seems apparent but which is challenged by virtually all the relevant evidence is another demonstration of your complete inability (or refusal) to comprehend the evidence that has been laid in front of you by multiple studies.

Simon M

My biggest problem with reproduction of Neal's slides on this thread is that terrible picture he took of me on a dive when I forgot my diving hat. Somehow underwater photos seem to accentuate baldness!
:rofl3:

I want to thank Rossh for posting Neal's slide. It brings back countless wonderful memories of the DAN/UHMS Dive Medicine Courses at which both Neal and Simon would be present to regale us with wisdom and tales of adventure

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom