deadman's reef in laguna...is this map accurate?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diver_doug

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I've been wanting to head out to deadman's reef for a while but I'm not exactly sure where it is. Seems like everytime I ask someone I get a different answer. Granted, everyone agrees its in crescent bay past seal rock, but some say it's straight out from seal rock, some say far east of seal rock, some say halfway beetween the shallow rocks and seal rock, etc. So I was wondering if this is an accurate map in terms of deadmans reef's proximity to seal rock: Crescent Bay (Sorry I couldn't post an actual image, the map is bright blue and gray, and is almost exactly half-way down the page.)
Thanks!

crescent.gif

There are a variety of methods used to hit Deadmans, all of which involve swimming out from the concrete wall along the edge of the reef. In addition to lining up the house with the blue roof, there are at least 4 other methods.

Some swim out just past even with Seal Rock, drop and take a 210 heading. Others swim beyond Seal Rock, try and line up the white house at the end of Emerald Bay between the two Seal Rocks, drop and take a 240 heading. Both of these methods involve swimming towards the reef underwater. Still others line up the center concrete fencepost of the last house on the Crescent side of Seal Rock between the two palm trees just to the right of the same house and the flagpole on the Emerald Bay side of Seal Rock just to the left of the center of the larger Seal Rock. The flagpole is next to the house with the blue roof. Some just line up the flagpole with the top of Seal Rock. These last two methods take you further out on the surface than the first two methods and drop you down on the reef.

This one is more accurate. There are different line ups depending on which part of the reef you want to drop on.

Ok guys. .....
We actually mapped the area (bathymetry map, 50cm grid, <1cm vertical resolution) for real:D

I will see if I can release a virtual dive site - with related 3D map - in the next few weeks.

Alberto (aka eDiver)

Here You go:

deadman_map_combo.jpg

Drop down at 33°32'37.77"N - 117°48'19.21"W and you will be on top of the reef :wink:

We plan to add Deadman Reef to the simulator .... shortly :D

Alberto (aka eDiver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom