Dear Instructors and Dive Professionals:

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Actually Scuba1231,

It IS a place where instructors can discuss problem students and behaviours without upsetting the student. As a "clique", it has probably already passed the 1000 member mark, and is one of our finest forums.

But no one would try to "bad mouth" a student in there... too many of us love our students to tolerate such an action.

There are also limited access areas for Scuba Businesses and Manufacturers as well as for teens.

Scuba1231:
Old thread, but I am a new poster. Personally I don't care if the instructors do have their own thread. If they want to be elitist and bad mouth their students that's fine with me. I have no desire to join your little clique anyway.

Well, unless you're really interested in things like Instructor Development Classes, where to find the best insurance rates for dive professionals, or various issues dealing with employment in the dive industry, you're right ... you really have no desire to be a part of the forum ... :sleeping:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Shocked I can't think of another word to sum up my feelings. If this joker wants to play then lets teach him how to. I'll dive with anyone who's commited to learning. Most people take a sport up to relax so I would suggest this guy should chose another sport. I would like to add if scuba1231 as had a bad experience then maybe he could learn a few things but lets have a positive discussion.

Remember divings not for everyone but it helps if you enjoy what you do.

I enjoy this thread because I find people are normally quite level headed. I assumed it was because to some extent, we've gone through similar processes. I think we have many common goals too.

Scuba1231:
Old thread, but I am a new poster. Personally I don't care if the instructors do have their own thread. If they want to be elitist and bad mouth their students that's fine with me. I have no desire to join your little clique anyway.

Hmm... tastes like sour grapes to me... :joke:

But seriously, as others have already said, we Instructors find the I2I forum a great place to exchange teaching hints, tips, suggestions, etc. without having to worry about silly things like agency affiliations.

It's a great forum! :thumb:

My view of instructors is this, they are there to make a buck first and to teach last, the first thing that someone asks me when I walk into a shop is let me show you this, and do you want to take that class? A dive shop is a lot like a used car lot, you might get something pretty and functional, but the price has been grossly marked up and you leave with a bad taste in your mouth.

You must have had some bad instructors. A lot of us dont even do this full time. How can I be out to make a buck?

You should try to find some other instructors. Those who actually care if you become a good diver or not. Should be easy. They are all here on ScubaBoard.

Scuba1231:
I just left the instructor-to-instructor forum, and the vast majority of the threads are either about teaching techniques/standards, or issues about employment. I have not seen stuff that I’d call bad mouthing of students. I do see some threads about techniques for teaching students who are having problems, but that’s not bad-mouthing.

There also seems to be much less trolling and few or no emotional reactions. Probably boring reading to most, but I find the forum helpful, and I’m glad we have it.

I see value in letting others view the I2I forum, perhaps on a read-only basis. Then if they had questions or contributions, they could always start a thread in another forum saying something like “I just saw on the I2I forum . . .”

If this were to happen, the read-only access should probably be limited. There is a sticky that lists the approximately 500 members with our names (and credentials), and perhaps this should not be visible to all?

Admin?

Scuba1231:
My view of instructors is this, they are there to make a buck first and to teach last, the first thing that someone asks me when I walk into a shop is let me show you this, and do you want to take that class? A dive shop is a lot like a used car lot, you might get something pretty and functional, but the price has been grossly marked up and you leave with a bad taste in your mouth.
I'm sorry you've had the experiences you have. When I first came to Colorado Springs, there were three dive shops here, two of which treated me as you mention. The third treated me with respect, and I’ve been their customer ever since, (and now part-time employee). In the interim, one of the other two shops has gone out of business, and the remainder has improved their methods.

Try to find another dive store; not all stores or instructors are as you have experienced.

Well, it's been fun here at the zoo, but I think it's time to stop feeding the trolls. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom