Dear Shearwater; about your timing . . .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hahahahaha!! Americans forget that Christmas is about giving, not getting. I'm sure that the folks at Shearwater were desperate to introduce the new computer at DEMA, but it just wasn't quite ready. They let their best dealers know, but kept it from the public.

If someone gave me a dive computer for Christmas, I sure wouldn't be disappointed. I don't think I'd get on a forum and tell everyone how I felt about it.

Doooods, seriously . . . the timing of the Perdix sucks. :(

Never, ever, ever release something just before, or in the three months after Christmas.

Imagine this -- across the world ecstatic divers open their Christmas presents to find the Petrel 2 from their beloved . . .

A day later, dancing and bragging and screaming their new toy to the Interwebs, and they read . . . new dive computer... brighter, smaller, everything like the Petrel . . .

Their breath stops, their heart jumps into their throat, feeling like it is being squeezed by a huge unseen fist. . . . Perdix . . . Perdix.

But they mustn't say anything, they must continue to fake that smile for their beloved . . . and won't probably be able to afford the new one for more than a year. . . cannot justify another for more than a year. . .

:crying:

That's what gift receipts are for, no?

I got a brand new Petrel 2 SA for Christmas and while I made a post in jest about the timing in another thread, I'm not the least bit upset. I suspect that support for my SA Petrel will continue for long enough to last me until I need a new one. I do agree that it was frustrating timing, but not enough to cause me any regrets or make me feel like I have the lesser computer.

Ah yes, but remember... No matter when they release it... it's always before and after Christmas. :)

Seriously though I had not heard of the Perdix model until now. Just looked online at one of the dive shops I use and it's showing up there for roughly the same price as the Petrel 2 (give or take $10).

Looks interesting. Very similar to the Petrel 2 model without the Fisher connector.

I'll have to compare side-by-side next time I am in the shop.

Doooods, seriously . . . the timing of the Perdix sucks. :(

Ha, happened to me too.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Jax
I have no problem with what shearwater did. If they announced the new computer sooner, they would have been at rick for the Osborne effect, which every technology company is hyper aware of its potential consequences.

If they came out with the product BEFORE it was ready - they risked damaging their reputation and having more warranty issues.

To release products on their naturally ready timeline without announcing the product until you have a firm ship date is the safest bet a tech company can make.

I agree, bad timing. I bought a Petrel 2 last September. Love the unit. BUT, the slimmer Perdix sure would have been nice too. Oh well, maybe I will get a Perdix as a backup to the Petrel 2. B.

Y'all have been wonderfully kind to me, in PMs and such, about this issue. Thank you so very much! :worship:

However, it is not about me. I am not a chase-the-technology person. I am perfectly happy buying castoffs from those who do.

I have several friends that are about in tears . . . so I thought I'd bring it up to Shearwater. :hugs:

Y'all have been wonderfully kind to me, in PMs and such, about this issue. Thank you so very much! :worship:

However, it is not about me. I am not a chase-the-technology person. I am perfectly happy buying castoffs from those who do.

I have several friends that are about in tears . . . so I thought I'd bring it up to Shearwater. :hugs:

If you have several friends that are at the point of tears because they bought the best dive computer in the world and now a slightly smaller version came out........then you have friends who's tear creating problems are on a completely different scale than anyone I know. LOL.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom