• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Dear Shearwater; about your timing . . .

Discussion in 'Shearwater Research' started by Jax, Dec 27, 2015.

1. hroark2112

hroark2112 Tech Instructor

# of Dives: 0 - 24
    Care to elaborate on this?

2. Wookie

Wookie Curmudgeon Apprentice ScubaBoard Business Sponsor ScubaBoard Supporter

Hahahahaha!! Americans forget that Christmas is about giving, not getting. I'm sure that the folks at Shearwater were desperate to introduce the new computer at DEMA, but it just wasn't quite ready. They let their best dealers know, but kept it from the public.

If someone gave me a dive computer for Christmas, I sure wouldn't be disappointed. I don't think I'd get on a forum and tell everyone how I felt about it.

Divin'Hoosier, paulw, PT4476 and 4 others like this.
  3. kelemvor

kelemvor Big Fleshy Monster ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    That's what gift receipts are for, no?

4. Dos Cylindros

Dos Cylindros Registered

# of Dives: I just don't log dives
    I got a brand new Petrel 2 SA for Christmas and while I made a post in jest about the timing in another thread, I'm not the least bit upset. I suspect that support for my SA Petrel will continue for long enough to last me until I need a new one. I do agree that it was frustrating timing, but not enough to cause me any regrets or make me feel like I have the lesser computer.

5. pickens_46929

pickens_46929 Contributor

Ah yes, but remember... No matter when they release it... it's always before and after Christmas. :)

Seriously though I had not heard of the Perdix model until now. Just looked online at one of the dive shops I use and it's showing up there for roughly the same price as the Petrel 2 (give or take $10).

Looks interesting. Very similar to the Petrel 2 model without the Fisher connector.

I'll have to compare side-by-side next time I am in the shop.

6. thoga00

thoga00 Registered

Ha, happened to me too.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Jax likes this.
  7. manni-yunk

manni-yunk Contributor

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    I have no problem with what shearwater did. If they announced the new computer sooner, they would have been at rick for the Osborne effect, which every technology company is hyper aware of its potential consequences.

If they came out with the product BEFORE it was ready - they risked damaging their reputation and having more warranty issues.

To release products on their naturally ready timeline without announcing the product until you have a firm ship date is the safest bet a tech company can make.

8. lindenbruce

lindenbruce Solo Diver

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    I agree, bad timing. I bought a Petrel 2 last September. Love the unit. BUT, the slimmer Perdix sure would have been nice too. Oh well, maybe I will get a Perdix as a backup to the Petrel 2. B.

9. Jax

Jax Deplorable American ScubaBoard Supporter

Y'all have been wonderfully kind to me, in PMs and such, about this issue. Thank you so very much! :worship:

However, it is not about me. I am not a chase-the-technology person. I am perfectly happy buying castoffs from those who do.

I have several friends that are about in tears . . . so I thought I'd bring it up to Shearwater. :hugs:

Bubble_blower87 likes this.
  10. manni-yunk

manni-yunk Contributor

# of Dives: 500 - 999

If you have several friends that are at the point of tears because they bought the best dive computer in the world and now a slightly smaller version came out........then you have friends who's tear creating problems are on a completely different scale than anyone I know. LOL.

Insta-Gator, Jax and gcarter like this.