Dear Shearwater; about your timing . . .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

These are the same folk who get every new iPhone . . . etc. :)

Funny. I upgraded from a flip phone to an iPhone this year. I found clients like to text (I don't), and 9 key made it miserable. Then someone called me a hipster for using a flip phone. I replaced it immediately. Now, Mel wishes I'd go back to the flip phone. Did you know that you can get on ScubaBoard and Facebook from an iPhone?

Technology addicts. Counseling may be appropriate.

Do your homework and you will see the petrel 2 is a much more sturdy computer for wreck diving not to mention the bigger screen. ✌️

Do your homework and you will see the petrel 2 is a much more sturdy computer for wreck diving not to mention the bigger screen. ✌️

Do you think the geeks really care about that? "But the Perdix is smaller . . . "

Dicks. Just got my Petrel 2 and now this? Un cool very un cool.

I have weaned myself from trying to chase the latest and greatest version of anything. My phone is about three versions behind the latest. It doesn't bother me that the Perdix is thinner than my Petrel and has a slightly brighter display and slightly more efficient battery usage--these are hardly earth-shattering improvements. It's a machine, not jewelry. In three or four years when Shearwater introduces the Perdix 2, which will be yet a centimeter thinner and have an even brighter display, etc., etc., the people who continually chase the latest models of everything will be unloading their Perdix so they can buy a Perdix 2. And so it goes. Trying to keep up with the latest version of any consumer electronics is an exercise in futility.

I look forward to picking up a used Petrel that I can use as a backup from one of those people "upgrading" to a Perdix. Barring something unforeseen, I plan to keep both Petrels for years to come. It is an AWESOME computer.

Reactions: Jax
Dicks. Just got my Petrel 2 and now this? Un cool very un cool.

Way to keep it classy.

--

I have a Petrel2. This release doesn't upset or bother me one bit. The one thing you can count on is change -- this change can, and often does, include progress, new models, and so on. You will never keep up unless you are willing to put down money every year or two. Bitching about it wont change it, so either sack up and buy the newest thing or shut up (directed at everyone that constantly complains about new version of stuff when they just got the old one) and enjoy what you have.

Wanted - your Petrel 2..... now I can get a Petrel with a compass....

Reactions: Jax
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom