Death at Dutch Springs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dumaresq

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
On Saturday the 7th of September, a diver died during the night dive at dutch springs. I found this news article (which is very lacking in details) Dutch Springs scuba diving accident kills man, police say | lehighvalleylive.com

I was on site Saturday night and I was diving during the night, but was unaware of this, until I was woken around midnight and asked if the missing diver was in my tent.

Two in as many months, very sad indeed. My condolences to the family and best wishes to all involved.

On Saturday the 7th of September, a diver died during the night dive at dutch springs. I found this news article (which is very lacking in details) Dutch Springs scuba diving accident kills man, police say | lehighvalleylive.com

I was on site Saturday night and I was diving during the night, but was unaware of this, until I was woken around midnight and asked if the missing diver was in my tent.

A little more information in this follow up.

http://www.lehighvalleylive.com/nazareth/index.ssf/2013/09/dutch_springs_drowning_victim.html

Very sad. Prayers and wishes for the family.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Was it a night dive or was it just late when they found him?

From what I got from the staff it was on the night dive. Like racerx most of my information is second hand so I don't want to spread it unless it is confirmed. I never met the diver, but I did see his car many times. I believe based on the amount I saw the car, that he was an experienced diver who knew the site well.

I dive a lot at Dutch Springs and they have pretty strict protocols regarding their Saturday night dives. You must be registered at the front office if you are doing the night dive, the night dive can begin anytime after 1/2 hour prior to sunset, all divers must be in the water by 1/2 hour after sunset and all divers must be out of the water no later than 2 hours after sunset. Two weeks ago when I did a night dive there, that time was 945 pm.

They also have strict protocols for solo diving. You must hold an SDI solo cert, register as a solo diver at the front office, you must check out a locator beacon/transponder and return it at the end of the dive day and you must check in with the lake staff on your way in and out of the water. I am curious as to why no one noticed he was missing until 11:30 pm, unless he was diving solo and not following the rules.

Last edited:
This is the second Dutch fatality in a month. I was there Sunday. Rumour is that Dutch Staff has told people to not discuss the matter with anyone.

I urge any dive professionals who witnessed anything about either event to write up a report and submit it to your agency or insurance company.

This is the second Dutch fatality in a month. I was there Sunday. Rumour is that Dutch Staff has told people to not discuss the matter with anyone.

I urge any dive professionals who witnessed anything about either event to write up a report and submit it to your agency or insurance company.
If as you say, this is only a rumor, why perpetuate it with your comment?

I would think that this is wise and standard protocol for anybody that has been involved in any incident like this. The last thing anybody needs is a suit coming against them because something they said was taken the wrong way.....blah blah blah

If as you say, this is only a rumor, why perpetuate it with your comment?

I for one think it is a good reminder to people that when they are involved in such an incident, it is prudent to watch what is said about the events leading up to, during and following the incident. I see your point however even though he started the statement with "Rumor has it....", it is still good advice IMO.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom