Death in Cocos from shark attack

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Maritime Law. International waters perhaps?

Maritime Law. International waters perhaps?

I don't think they were in international waters if they were near the islands. The islands are owned by CR, therefor it's just as if they were next to the mainland coast.

I don't think they were in international waters if they were near the islands. The islands are owned by CR, therefor it's just as if they were next to the mainland coast.

This. It would not be considered international water.

First of all , My condolences to her family and friends.

Second, I have a upcoming trip to Cocos in two months , so I am really concern about the safety and what happen there.

I been diving with sharks as a recreational diver in few places like cocos, socorrors, Galapagos, Mexico, South Africa , and in my opinion the fact that the tiger shark attack 2 persons in the same event was not normal(but its only my opinion ) but I´m not expert and don´t known all the facts.

I want to known in the opinion of an expert, if it was the kind of accident that we all are expose when we dive with sharks, (and I´m ok with that risk ) or if it was something out of the normal situation with that particular shark , but nobody know all the facts and its only speculations.

Another thing , bothers me its the fact that in cocos, they have a Mandatory Emergency Evacuation Program Fee $30 , so why they did't use it ? (maybe it was to late for the girl) but what about the dive master, .

Finally , I think , we ( the divers ) deserve a clear explanation from someone responsable over there , maybe the liveaboard operators who work at cocos , or the costa rica government. don´t know

So if an expert can help with a scientific point of view or someone who knows the true facts would be great.

I've had the great fortune to have gone to Cocos with Undersea Hunter twice in the last couple of years and found the crew and divemasters to be amazing and highly professional. They emphasize the fact that safety is paramount, and that in an emergency evacuation is at least 24 hours away and involves the boat heading back towards the mainland at top speed while a helicopter will head out from there to meet the boat halfway.

I would be shocked to find out that this was in any way provoked, or that there was any lapse in judgement on the part of the operator that "caused" this tragic incident.

The tiger shark in that clip isn't what I would consider aggressive - certainly curious, but not aggressive. The problem with sharks is that "curiosity" sometimes involves tooth marks, and a jaw built to crack sea turtles can do a lot of damage to a human even with a glancing blow. A couple years ago I picked up a fresh tiger shark tooth on a dive; at the bar later I was running my fingers along my prize when some lime juice hit the pad of my thumb and I painfully realized it was covered with cuts almost deep enough to bleed.

However, the fact that it's at night would make what's left of my hair stand up; tigers are ambush predators and the closer they get without being tracked the more likely it is they might try something cute. For reference, here's an encounter I had off Jupiter, FL with a ~10 ft female in reduced viz; she wasn't aggressive but "Sassy Cassie" lived up to her moniker:

I would be interested to know what the extent of the wounds were; the most recent article describes the woman as receiving "deep lacerations to both of her legs" and the divemaster suffered "a serious wound to one of his legs." I have seen tigers come up at us from below; typically we spot them coming and they break off. I can see how the shark might have attacked the woman first and then the divemaster caught an open-mouthed blow to the leg while driving it off.

I did talk to a couple of researchers about this incident, including one based in Costa Rica - that's actually one of his BRUV (Baited Remote Underwater Video) images from Cocos in the most recent article. Another researcher who was formerly on the International Shark Attack Files staff said he was aware of only one other fatal attack by a tiger shark on a diver in a group, although the details were questionable.

I wonder if this sort of interaction is actually teaching the shark that humans are harmless and not to be feared, causing the very same problems we claim we're trying to avoid ? That shark is getting way too familiar with humans/divers when it should have a fear/respect instead. You are teaching it that human/divers are weak/harmless = potential easy food.

Maybe I missed it in all the commentary, but has the dive site where the attack took place been reported yet?

Their efficacy seems to be based on the mood of the shark. Research seems to indicate they're effective against sharks that aren't really motivated to do anything other than check out whatever it is that has piqued their interest. They don't seem to deter attacks by sharks that are actually driven to interaction.
You 'may' be right re 'mood of shark' but, in my own experience and videos I have seen of sharks (even BIG sharks) reactions, is they bounce of that 'force-field' shield like they hit a brick wall! Every time.

But there is always gonna be one shark out there that has never seen or heard of a Shark Shield, and has no respect for them whatsoever and says "Shield? What shield? I'm hungry, here I come"!

At worse they (Shark Shield) at least give you that warm fuzzy felling that your 'protected'. ;-)

No, in all seriousness, we swore by them!

Last edited:
People dive in Cocoas for only one reason and that is to dive with large sharks. She knew the risk and accepted it. There will not be a law suit.

While your first sentence is right on the money, you can't be even remotely serious with your second!

As someone else said, when spouse and (a hearse chasing) lawyer/s meet, anything can and will happen, however costly and fruitlessly for all concerned (save the lawyers). Does the name / case Wes Skiles not ring a bell?

Maybe I missed it in all the commentary, but has the dive site where the attack took place been reported yet?
I believe that I read that the site was Manuelita.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom