Death in Cocos from shark attack

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Maybe a bit too much influence of the discovery channels endless reruns of the of the great whites ambushing seals at seal island, a rather unique situation, but really shouldn't be thought of as demonstrating how all sharks everywhere feed.

Most sharks are countershaded so that from above they'll blend in with the bottom, and a target silhouetted against the sun is easier to pick out. Typically it's the most advantageous setup for a predator, especially one that specializes in air-breathing prey such as marine mammals or turtles. That's not to say that's always how they'll operate, but depending on the local conditions it may be where they have the best chance of taking prey by surprise. I've definitely seen our Jupiter tigers try and sneak up on us from below while we're headed to the surface; they don't come in lightning-fast but then again they only have to come about 50 ft off the bottom to reach us.

Condolences to the family and friends of this woman. Tigers, I believe, are much more curious than most other sharks and will approach closely to investigate. I was at Tiger Beach last week and saw this for myself. We were told to always make eye contact as they approached and continue to make eye contact as they circled behind and to keep our eyes out for them while ascending & descending for the same reason. Also, to never retreat but hold your ground. Tigers are ambush predators and are much less likely to attack if the subject they are interested in is looking at them & not retreating. I feel this is good advice whenever coming across any shark in the open water. It was an amazing trip and we saw up to 8 on every dive.

That's been my experience as well; having something to establish personal space with (camera, GoPro pole, spear, etc.) also helps. You want that shark to know that you're watching it and you're not going to let it get too close for comfort; if necessary charge at it and play chicken. That was actually the explanation one shark feeder gave me for some of his seemingly showier stunts like flipping a 1,200-lb tiger into a headstand - it was his way of saying, "Hold it right there missy, you're going to wait until I take the food out of the box and not just grab the whole thing."

The liveaboard should have stayed and dove at the same spot just to show the tragedy was not repeatable but random in its own course.

I got grabbed by a tiger once and was swum off with for an interminable length of time (probably less than 2 minutes). I didn't struggle at all and luckily was unhurt but nobody else among the visiting divers who witnessed it wanted to get back in the water for a second dive! (It happened to me twice on the same dive.) Tigers are ponderous but very sneaky.

Last edited:
Merciful heavens John Bantin! What did the tiger grab and drag you with?

I got grabbed by a tiger once and was swum off with for an interminable length of time (probably less than 2 minutes). I didn't struggle at all and luckily was unhurt but nobody else among the visiting divers who witnessed it wanted to get back in the water for a second dive! (It happened to me twice on the same dive.) Tigers are ponderous but very sneaky.

Buy a lotto ticket!

""Hold it right there missy, you're going to wait until I take the food out of the box and not just grab the whole thing.""

I guess this probably works...until it doesn't.

Still? F THAT! I'd be running on water!

Interesting. Doesn't that fly in the face of the "common wisdom" to whack or otherwise confront a shark that is overly curious? And the shark took you for rides twice on the same dive? It sounds like love. Also, I hope you were wearing your brown wetsuit...

I assume by the tank or the BC. It was more of a push and carry than a drag. No damage done - but I kept very still both times! The picture of me you see here was taken on the same day!
Sounds similar to what old-time whalers called a "nantucket sleighride".

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom