Death in Lombok Indonesia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here is the text from the link provided above

WNA from France Died in Gili Trawangan
Mataram -WNA from France again add to the list of foreigners who died in NTB Region, this time a beautiful and young woman who died in Gii Trawangan who came from the French state.

WNA named ALIZE GUENOLA BAURIN, 25 years old, Women. Before they died, they dived with their friends on (27/7) at 09.00 pm, they dived for 2 sessions, the first diving session was done for 50 minutes, then returned to the water surface for 1 hour 30 minutes, then continued the session To 2 for 50 minutes, after the victim had climbed onto the boat, and showed signs of deconpersion, and immediately took the victim to the divers to be given first aid.

Because the condition of the victim continues to complain of pain, the victim finally rushed to Rs. City, after being treated for a day (28/7) the victim last breath at around 13.30 pm.

Then from Rs. City of the body was taken to Rs. Bhayangkara to be kept and for the interest in administering the administration to be used at the time of insurance arrangement and to repatriate the Bodies to their home country.

Previously known in the morning Bhayangkara Hospital has just handed the bodies of Dutch origin to representatives of Dutch ambassadors who are dug through Ambulance between nations that pick up read also http://tribratanews.ntb.polri.go.id/2017/07/29/jenazah -home-origin-dutch-dispatched /

Until now within a week Bhayangkara hospital has received 3 (three) foreign people from various countries and only 1 (one) person departed back to the country through his dubes in Bali and Rs. Bhayangkara still keep 2 (two) bodies who are entrusted while waiting for information from the embassy. (HMTS)

@cephalopod2 & @bowlofpetunias thanks for posting the link & article.

It didn't say how deep they were. I don't see any problem with multiple 50 min dives with 90 min SI. I'm guilty of doing that myself. All is fine with my body, as long as I follow the dive computer instruction (knock on wood). The other diver friends seem OK too. So, there could be something physiologically different between her & the other divers to make her prone for DCS.

I heard this case: Heidi Uh Oh. Her doctor suspected that Heidi got Patent Foramen Ovale — DAN | Divers Alert Network — Medical Dive Article

If you were tired from multiple diving on the day before, had lack of sleep, dehydration, etc. before going diving, you could get hit by DCS like this diver that I dove with 3 weeks ago: A diver air lifted off the coast of Galveston, Texas by US Coast Guard on July 16, 2017

Last edited:
Just heard it from my friend who is currently an instructor at another dive shop in Gili. Supposedly, the young lady had a pretty big night the night before and drank a lot. Whether that is true or not, I am not going to surmise. The word on the street is maybe this had contributed (partially) to her demise.

I am not saying whether this is true or validated. I am just relaying the chatter from Gili.

But this does bring up another question which I think merits a discussion: How much does alcohol can potentially make an individual more susceptible to DCS? I mean from the OW/AOW textbook and manuals, it provides a general guideline. But is there a way to guestimately quantify the risk and provide a more succinct guideline?

Obviously, the level differs for each individual. As for myself, I try not to drink when I go on dive trips, even if I do, I usually limit myself to 1-2 beers a day after the last dive.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dan
This is so sad on so many different levels. The video is amazing as Alize is so full of life, doing what she loves.

My condolences to her family and friends. .
Steve

If I may ask, was the deceased an instructor actually working on GT, Lombok, or an instructor just visiting there?

If working there, I recently had some email correspondence with a woman working at / on GT by that name, or somthing very very similar, but (unfortnately) no longer have the email chain. I wonder.

Does anyone know the name of the shop / organisation she was diving (or working) with?

With all due respect, do you really think being an instructor, even at the highest levels, makes one immune from DCS? If so, then you are very naive, no offence meant. Just like Dr's, instructors are neither God nor infalible (although some, and I repeat only 'some', think they are).

And depending of the severity of the hit, the term 'nearby' (as in chamber) is a very broad term with regards treatment response time.

That being said, I do not know the deceased person and mean no disrespect to her whatsoever, nor is my post directed to / at her in any way, I am just responding re the wording of your post BB7. As a matter of fact I send heartfelt condolences to her family and friends, as I too have lost close friends myself in the underwater world we visit.

p.p1 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 12.0px 'Helvetica Neue'; color: #454545}

Nobody was suggesting that an instructor is somehow immune to DCS. What one might suggest is that an instructor would be less prone to making panic errors like shooting to the surface, or would be less inclined to misread or not understand a warning on her computer if she had exceeded depths... etc. etc.

Dan T.- The point you make is more in line with where I was going. As someone who has been treated for DCSII, getting tossed in a dramatic upwelling/downwelling situation has become one of my biggest concerns while diving (and I understand these can be quite dramatic in Indonesia, where I have plans to dive). That was something I was concerned may have contributed to quick/unexpected depth change for an experienced diver.

Just heard it from my friend who is currently an instructor at another dive shop in Gili. Supposedly, the young lady had a pretty big night the night before and drank a lot. Whether that is true or not, I am not going to surmise. The word on the street is maybe this had contributed (partially) to her demise.

I am not saying whether this is true or validated. I am just relaying the chatter from Gili.

But this does bring up another question which I think merits a discussion: How much does alcohol can potentially make an individual more susceptible to DCS? I mean from the OW/AOW textbook and manuals, it provides a general guideline. But is there a way to guestimately quantify the risk and provide a more succinct guideline?

Obviously, the level differs for each individual. As for myself, I try not to drink when I go on dive trips, even if I do, I usually limit myself to 1-2 beers a day after the last dive.

You Booze, You Lose

"Of Benders and the Bends
Anyone who's ever stood in the restroom line at a college bar knows that what goes in must come out--and then some. Alcohol is a diuretic. In plain English that means you pee more, leading to another D-word--dehydration. "Dehydration not only makes you fatigue faster, it also decreases the amount of blood available for gas exchange and may slow nitrogen removal from your body, leaving you at increased risk for decompression illness," says Dr. Everhart-McDonald.

Alcohol is also a central nervous system depressant, so just as being tipsy makes you less susceptible to the pain of tripping down the stairs, it also can leave you oblivious to symptoms of the bends. Likewise, if you're hungover, you're already feeling crappy and may be less quick to register key symptoms of decompression illness like joint pain, nausea, fatigue, headache and confusion.

"The dehydration, fatigue and lack of judgment make being hungover just as dangerous as being drunk when you're under water," Dr. Everhart-McDonald says."

p.p1 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 12.0px 'Helvetica Neue'; color: #454545}

Nobody was suggesting that an instructor is somehow immune to DCS. What one might suggest is that an instructor would be less prone to making panic errors like shooting to the surface, or would be less inclined to misread or not understand a warning on her computer if she had exceeded depths... etc. etc.

Dan T.- The point you make is more in line with where I was going. As someone who has been treated for DCSII, getting tossed in a dramatic upwelling/downwelling situation has become one of my biggest concerns while diving (and I understand these can be quite dramatic in Indonesia, where I have plans to dive). That was something I was concerned may have contributed to quick/unexpected depth change for an experienced diver.

Before diving in Crystal Bay, my dive guide emphasized us to stay close to the sloping wall, not out in the blue chasing Mola Mola & be ready to hang on the wall when the downcurrent appear.

The best way to dive there is to go with experience dive guide that knows when is the right time to dive there. I have been using the same guide for the last 10 years of diving there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom