Death of A.C. Clarke

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Arthur's books are fantastic. I started reading them long before I started diving.
Best I think is Rendezvous with Rama (original). My other favorites are City and the stars, 2001, 2010 (I think 2061 and 3001 are shallow), Sands of Mars which capture the romance and mystery of space travel. I think his collaborative novels which produced Rama II and onwards definitely do not have the "Clarke" touch. In my opinion they are a big mess.

For those who have dived in Sri Lanka, his non fiction work, "The Reefs of Taprobane" and "The Treasure of the Great Reef" will give fantastic insights to the great quality of reefs during the 60's and also his quirky observations of Sri Lankan culture is indeed amusing.

Dharshana Jayawardena
Dive Sri Lanka! - Find out everything about SCUBA diving in paradise!

Fetus destroying humanity - sounds like another of Clarke's visions, this time about the dangers of stem cell research, and how it went horribly wrong by turning the next generation of humans into disformed mutants (shown in the Twilight Zone - but that ..is another movie altogether)

Oh ya.. Clarke..YOU ROCK ! Enjoy yourself in the neverending journey towards heaven.
(Fountains of Paradise my favorite AC book)

Childhood's End (more or less)
& yeah, I agree with you on the fountains book.

I remeber reading the book "Treasurers of the great reef" written by ACC and also remember two young American boys being mentioned in it. These two chaps who were first class divers would by now be in there 50's but hopefully would be still diving. cannot remeber their names at the moment but as a diver based in Sri lanka it would be great to get intouch with them.

The best thing that has happened to me since I started diving was to dive with Sir Arthur. We filmed a Documentary concerning his Expedition to recover the only sunken treasure lost by the family that built the Taj Mahal. We have just released the 15th year anniversary and re-mastered DVD of "Before 2001" The Story of the Taj Mahal Treasure. Little know fact. Clarke started diving back in the late 40'S. It was my pleasure to sit right nex to him at the 25th anniversary showing of "2001 A Space Odyssey" in his home town of Minehead, England. Yes I am bragging, and could ramble on for hours. If you would like to know more googlr me, and check out the web sites. Carl Fismer Captain Fizz

Mark Smith, and Bobby Kriegel were the boys in Treasure of The Great Reef. What an Adventure. I know them, and we filmed with Sir Arthur the Documentary "Before 2001" Mark is a school Teacher in Arkansas, and Bobby works for the State of Florida. Captain Fizz

Bobby Kriegel and Mark Smith are legends among the Sri Lankan diving community. It would be great if you could send me their e mail address or some contact information. Othrwise just point thm in the direction of Dive Sri Lanka! - Find out everything about SCUBA diving in paradise! and please ask them to contact us through that. Thanks a lot.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom