Decent internet in cave country?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As I. I sent a PM with the same recommendations... though I didn't know how fast or slow it was.
Pretty constant 15-20 mbps. I was able to stream netflix. My wife was able to work from there for a week.

That was my thought as well. They've said the southern US could get coverage as early as this quarter.

Will be a game changer. Wonder if you’ll be able to take it anywhere you go once fully implemented?

Will be a game changer. Wonder if you’ll be able to take it anywhere you go once fully implemented?
That's the plan. It's going to be amazing for rural America. Assuming companies continue to support work from home once Covid is under control, we could begin to see a repopulation of small town USA. The RV industry has to be excited as well.

I’m waiting patiently for starlink, but until I see some actual reports on delivered latency, I’m still going to temper my enthusiasm. I realize that satellite hundreds of miles in space are not the same as satellites tens of thousands of miles in space, but it’s still a lot of distance and a lot of roundtrips.

For those of us whose Internet access is built around latency sensitive applications like remote desktop sessions, that can really make a difference, no matter how much bandwidth is involved.

i’ve learned to never bet against Elon Musk, but I’ve also learned that his timetables are not only unrealistic, but impossible to meet if you double them. There’s a couple of reasons to wait patiently! :)

But yes, if this comes through, it will be an absolute game changer for a number of communities. If you think Internet access in the Florida Panhandle is poor, take a look at the Idaho panhandle. Makes northern Florida look like a metropolis.

There's a bunch of YouTube videos from users in Idaho. I've watched a few because my mother lives in Wyoming and I'm trying to figure out if this would make sense for her.

Pings are 30 to 40ms, download speeds 100 to 160mbps and upload 15-20. And this is with a just a small fraction of their eventual satellite network up. It's amazing.

Most of cave country is on some type of DSL. Your speed will depend on plan plus distance from DSLAM plus compatibility/settings of the modem. Some places only have satellite

If you want true broadband, you want to be in Lake City (Verizon) or south the Publix in Alachua (Cox).

The struggle is real.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom