Decent internet in cave country?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Being a100% remote IT employee reading about 15 Mbps DSL is causing my eye to twitch.
That's a big ouch. Now that I've got gigabit fiber to my house, I'll probably never move.

G-ville is probably pissed that they're trying to create a new "Springs County".

Hello. My name is NetDoc. I live at the end of the digital dirt road in the land once roamed by the Heckawe Indian Tribes.

interesting that you chose to purchase property well outside of the people’s republic of Alachua County. ..where property taxes are roughly 50% less!

Anyone paying attention would realize the COG and Alachua county see the outlying rural areas as just cash cow peasants who exist to fund their latest ******** ideology.

interesting that you chose to purchase property well outside of the people’s republic of Alachua County. ..where property taxes are roughly 50% less!

Almost half of Alachua is owned by UF and they don't pay taxes. The rest of the county has to make up for that. I love UF, but I don't love Alachua County. Suwanee has the second-lowest property tax in Florida. It seems to have about the least amount of regulation as well. I'll stay right here and enjoy being at the geo-center of Cave Country. Peacock and Ginnie are 25 minutes away in opposite directions. Little River is 7 minutes West and Jugg Hole is 5 minutes East. The internet kinda sucks, but it's quiet and I never find myself in a traffic jam. If I ever get too old, I hear there's an old folks home way down somewhere on the Suwanee!!! :D :D :D

Almost half of Alachua is owned by UF and they don't pay taxes. The rest of the county has to make up for that. I love UF, but I don't love Alachua County. Suwanee has the second-lowest property tax in Florida. It seems to have about the least amount of regulation as well. I'll stay right here and enjoy being at the geo-center of Cave Country. Peacock and Ginnie are 25 minutes away in opposite directions. Little River is 7 minutes West and Jugg Hole is 5 minutes East. The internet kinda sucks, but it's quiet and I never find myself in a traffic jam. If I ever get too old, I hear there's an old folks home way down somewhere on the Suwanee!!! :D :D :D

When I moved back here 5 years ago.. being close to shopping and airports was much more critical. And I suppose leaving Chicagoland, my tax/regulation senses had been numbed a bit.

having said all that.. I am a strong supporter of the Springs County initiative.

being close to shopping and airports was much more critical.
I'm almost too close to all that shopping and the closest airports for me are still MCO and TIA. I'm semi-native Floridian, having lived here since 1961. This is my third time in this area. 61-65 was in Gainesville/Trenton, 65-75 was in Orlando, back to Gainesville in 75, back to Central Florida in 85, then to the Keys from 05(?) TO 17 and now back to NCF. This is supposed to be my last move. I've been dealing with the internet since 89 or 90 in Florida. It's been my experience, that most people don't need nearly as much internet as they think. Oh hell, I can't do any online action games, but I don't really have time for that anyway.

I'm almost too close to all that shopping and the closest airports for me are still MCO and TIA. I'm semi-native Floridian, having lived here since 1961. This is my third time in this area. 61-65 was in Gainesville/Trenton, 65-75 was in Orlando, back to Gainesville in 75, back to Central Florida in 85, then to the Keys from 05(?) TO 17 and now back to NCF. This is supposed to be my last move. I've been dealing with the internet since 89 or 90 in Florida. It's been my experience, that most people don't need nearly as much internet as they think. Oh hell, I can't do any online action games, but I don't really have time for that anyway.

how is Orlando / Tampa airports any closer than JAX?

A fraction of the drive and it is a lot less stressful.
Inter-airport connections are more stressful for me. Not having my bag arrive with me is even more so. If I can drive to a destination, I would rather do that anyway. However, it's important to check as sometimes adding a leg makes it cheaper somehow.

International airports are a pain. It is quicker to just take a connection out of Gainesville. A fraction of the drive and it is a lot less stressful.

Do you live or have lived in the area and used Gville airport regularly, because that's not necessarily true at all. Gville airport is small and not the best and doesn't offer alot of flight options. If you're lucky enough that it works for your trip, great. I've had quite a few friends with nasty delays out of Gville airport. It is nice that it's small and a quick walk though. Tampa and Orlando are great airports and are well run. I live in St Pete and am exceptionally lucky to have as good of an airport as I do. But sometimes I've got to go to Orlando to get a better flight. It may be a drive and a longer walk, but Orlando and Tampa pretty stress free airports. Now if you had to fly into Miami to go to cave country that would be a different story.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom