Decisions on steel tanks (i.e. how bad will a HP120 screw up my trim?).

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WantSomeScuba?

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Hey guys and gals,

Snow is flying up here, Christmas is looming behind a pile of Turkey and football games (rejoice!), and I'm thinking I am about to bite that heavy, steel bullet and get a couple of tanks to call my very own.

That said, it has been a somewhat...weird search, for lack of a better word. I'm going to be buying new, which means I'm buying Faber, which means my options are either a pair of 100's, 120's, 117's, or 133's.

I've dove 100's and 133's. The 100's were fine, albeit noticeably short. The 133's were OK--definitely heavy, but I'll end up in doubles eventually, and I've filled and carried those around. And holeeees**t they are heavy.

Here's the conundrum. I like the 120's a whole bunch, but they're 29.1 inches long (almost 4 inches longer than a 100). The big kicker is I've never personally seen or dove a Faber 120.

I'm about 6 '7", 235 lbs, relatively big guy (read: "doughy with broad shoulders), and somewhat evenly proportioned, but the fact those tanks are so darn long gives me pause.

Anybody have any experience or advice here?

What BC are you using?
If buying new, I would get either HP120's, or HP149's in the galvanized steel variant. The length will be about perfect for you, and which one you go with will be determined by how much gas you need and how much weight you're willing to carry as there is a 8lb difference between the two.

The best way to figure out what works for you is to take a soft tape measure, string, USB cable, anything relatively flexible that you can measure. Soft tape measure is less work, but not everyone has them. Sit on a flat surface *picnic table, countertop, etc* and hold one end of the tape on the table somewhat in the middle of your right glute ish, doesn't have to be exact.
With the other end, reach behind your head to your general spine area to where is "comfortable" as this is where your valve knob is going to be that you have to be able to manipulate.
The length of the tape is roughly the "ideal" tank length for you. Meaning you can sit on a boat deck, picnic table, tailgate etc comfortable, but still manipulate the valve knob. For me at 6'3" ish, that number is 27". I dive PST HP120's which are 28" long and do it quite comfortably. Their HP100's are 24" long and I find them too short

What BC are you using?

Halcyon 40lb Eclipse. Doubles set with be an Evolve.

Thank you for the in-depth response! I appreciate it. I have champagne taste with a malt liquor budget, so I try to buy nice the first time. I wouldn't even ask if I had ever seen a 120 in person, much less had a chance to dive them.

Annnnnd that number for me is 32". From the top of tail bone it was around 29". Did I mention I apparently have a huge ass? I think I will be OK with the length.

at 32" for that measurement you'll be fine. Some of it may be reduced flexibility in your shoulders as well so you don't want it too long so you are whacking your head, but I have yet to see someone taller than me that couldn't dive the 120's.

Can't go wrong with either the 120's or 149's, but I would recommend restricting your search to those two. The other factor that may sway that decision is that the 120's are more negatively buoyant by about 2lbs, so that could be a pro or a con depending on your ballast needs, especially with doubles. Make sure to weigh that in before you purchase.

On the doubles wing, I'd recommend shopping around away from the Blue H for the wing. You'll save a lot of money and get a product just as good by going with another company.... I love Halcyon wings, but I struggle justifying spending the same amount of money for the Evolve wing as I could for say an entire Deep Sea Supply doubles rig....

I dive a pair lp131 sidemount but also single back mount occasionally. I'm 6'2". No issues with the length when back mount. Same goes for when I borrowed a hp120 doubles
I don't have a particularly long torso.

Do be wise with your back though when out of the water. It's a significant weight to be moving around and can be awkward.

Regards,
Cameron

On the doubles wing, I'd recommend shopping around away from the Blue H for the wing. You'll save a lot of money and get a product just as good by going with another company.... I love Halcyon wings, but I struggle justifying spending the same amount of money for the Evolve wing as I could for say an entire Deep Sea Supply doubles rig....

I definitely get that. I work for a Halcyon shop, so the price is a little more bearable. I'm still going to end up getting a longer plate from DSS one of these days.

I definitely get that. I work for a Halcyon shop, so the price is a little more bearable. I'm still going to end up getting a longer plate from DSS one of these days.

at 6'7" I'd do it sooner rather than later.... my personal bias aside, it was literally a night and day comfort improvement at my size at yours it will be the moon and stars difference

I'm 5'11". I dive deep and cold in the great lakes and a few months ago upgraded from my backmount double 100's to double 120's. Honestly, I noticed very minimal difference in trim between my double 100's and double 120's. The 120's are longer but even though i'm not super tall, they don't obstruct kicking in any way/hit my thighs or anything goofy while diving. I do notice them when gearing up since they are a lot taller. The only difference I had with trim was using maybe 1 lbs less tail weight for trim.

I really was worried they would be too long for me and would send me ass down but I really didn't notice a difference. It feels like I'm still diving my 100's (except for when carrying them on land...)

I'm 6' 1". I love my 120s for use as singles and as a twinset.

I think good trim is easier than when I use an HP100 or HP100 doubles.

I've had Halcyon Explorer, Oxycheq Vertex, OMS, and 2 different Dive Rite doubles wings. I like the 2 Dive Rites best. Donut designs that give me good trim without using a tail weight. The OMS is a horseshoe and the other two needed me to use a tail weight.

Back
Top Bottom