Deco bottles affecting trim

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divezonescuba

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hello:

I have noticed that having two deco bottles, an al40 and an al80 both on the left, affects my horizontal trim. It actually moves my center of gravity forward towards my head.

Is this normal?

What can be done to minimize this effect?

Thanks.

Pics?

With 2 tanks though? I’d be interested to see how high on the shoulder the Drings are, and how the Backgas tanks are riding.

Absolutely, regs are heavy, tank butts aren't.

I get that, I’ve just never noticed a real shift in CG fore and aft with only 2 tanks.

I get that, I’ve just never noticed a real shift in CG fore and aft with only 2 tanks.

I agree, it's slight. It's only a lb or two depending on the regs (1st and second stages).

I've been testing regs today and yesterday. Trimmed with my normal gear I added an extra cylinder yesterday. Added 3lbs where the rest of my weight goes. Face heavy.

Today moved the weight to a belt. Trimmed out again. Granted it was a big honking first stage and an al80 is long...

But that's my frame of reference for thinking he might be diagnosing the cause of his issue right.

...could be a dozen other things as well. I'd like a pic too.

I’d advise against trying to fiddle with weights and moving them around your body.

If you do that you’ll be working against those weights when you drop the deco bottles. Also, you could start down the road of hsvibgto have some special weight placement for every permutation or deco/ stage bottles you find yourself diving.

A better solution is to learn how to dive the gear and not let it dive you. Posture, arm and leg position is what you need to master.

Hello:

I have noticed that having two deco bottles, an al40 and an al80 both on the left, affects my horizontal trim. It actually moves my center of gravity forward towards my head.

Is this normal?

What can be done to minimize this effect?

Thanks.
Try taking the AL40 and just use the top bolt snap to re-attach it to your left hip D-ring -keep fhe AL80 attached both top & bottom as is.

But you have to be well practiced in manipulating stage/deco bottles at a stop depth in preparing for an eventual gas switch. . .

A better solution is to learn how to dive the gear and not let it dive you. Posture, arm and leg position is what you need to master.

Assuming a properly adjusted harness, and properly mounted tanks...yes.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom