Deco bottles affecting trim

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

. . .
But at least for backmounted doubles, putting a "head weight" on is bizarre.
It is bizarre, but it's a last resort solution if you can't adjust the bands lower (i.e. raise the manifold mass higher on your back) on a rental twinset for whatever reason, in order to counter the lung's buoyancy -which can be as much as plus 5kg with a full inhalation.

I once had to have 2 kg in a weight pouch between my shoulder blades with a 1 kg Aluminum BP -which was uncomfortable as hell- renting a twinset of manifolded AL80's in the Philippines, to counter heavy jetfins & lung buoyancy in a 1.5mil skinsuit.

Since you would be the first person on the planet intentionally putting lead up high behind your head, I think you need a GOOD instructor as soon as possible.

Your suggestion reminds me of a dive on in Hawaii a few years ago. The instructor / dive guide did not ask me anything about my physiology, dives, certification level, nor equipment. She told me that I needed to use 14 pounds because some other guy she pointed to needed 14 pounds.

My tec 40, 45, and 50 instructor is the Head of a GUE dive center and is well known throughout the world as a rigorous instructor. Since he is familiar with my physiology, gear configuration (plastic plate and al80s), and skill level, I will pass on your advice. Thanks anyway.

Last edited:
Your suggestion reminds me of a dive on in Hawaii a few years ago. The instructor / dive guide did not ask me anything about my physiology, dives, certification level, nor equipment. She told me that I needed to use 14 pounds because some other guy she pointed to needed 14 pounds.

My tec 40, 45, and 50 instructor is the Head of a GUE dive center and is well known throughout the world as a rigorous instructor. Since he is familiar with my physiology, gear configuration (plastic plate and al80s), and skill level, I will pass on your advice. Thanks anyway.
I agree with rjack.

You’re being misguided.

I really have a hard time believing a GUE instructor would recommend a "back of the neck" weight solution - which is what I took away from your post. Although admittedly you did not say he was a GUE instructor himself, only that he is the head of a GUE dive center.

While I am curious as to your instructor's agency affiliation / qualifications (primarily bc of the way you represented them), I'm more interested in the exact recommendation/s you received from him. Is it possible there is a minor disconnect (misunderstanding of the recommendations)?

But at least for backmounted doubles, putting a "head weight" on is bizarre.
I've seen it happen before on some 232 bar alloy tanks (can't remember which make) that were extremely butt heavy.

Yeah but he said he dives aluminum 80’s with a plastic plate. Those definitely get floaty butt when low. Unless his “physiology” is that of Johnny bravo, probably shouldn’t have a weight behind his head

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom